Any cool workflows/tips/tricks for Qualitative Research?

I know this may be a very niche area, but does anyone have any cool workflows for managing qualitative data / conducting qualitative research.

e.g. http://www.raulpacheco.org/2020/04/writing-by-memorandums/

Thatā€™s an interesting link, and I like the authorā€™s additional links to tips/tricks. I think in outline form so I start writing anything more than a page long either in list in a text processor or inside an outliner app, but if I have a morass of notes Iā€™ll use the ā€˜reverse outlineā€™ tip he discusses to break down masses of notes into titled idea silos that can be maneuvered and massaged, broken down, re-edited and recompiled.

1 Like

I love all of Raulā€™s workflows, heā€™s a researcher after my own heart :notebook::fountain_pen:

1 Like

I use Nvivo for interview analysis. Itā€™s an incredible application that really is unbeatable, although itā€™s not cheap. It has automatic transcription of interviews (for a yearly price) which is so accurate that I no longer need to pay someone for this. It even works well with poor quality recordings, which is an amazing achievement. For surveys I find Google Forms excellent, as the reports save a lot of time and effort.

I find Apple Pencil and GoodNotes fantastic for doing observations, no more losing notes and everything is instantly searchable.

I keep everything in a research database in DEVONthink, including all background research and references. While reading the automatic suggestions often help me link parts of the research, including research from old projects.

Thanks, Rob, I need to look back into Nvivoā€™s transcribing feature. It is pretty steep at $500 USD, but worth it for unlimited transcription. Iā€™ll probably wait for a larger project before forking those funds over. I do have a small grant I need to spend by the end of the year. I wonder if I can prepay for several years.

I tried Dedoose and it was a pretty bad experience. The cloud features sounded great, but it was a very buggy experience. They still use flash and itā€™s a pretty laggy experience. Sometimes we couldnā€™t even log in.

@bowline, I used the reverse outline format recently to reorganize a paper. It worked out great!

Part of what spurred this question was my recent decision to use method journals. A kind of qualitative journal you keep per project. I currently have my lab members each submit ā€œstatus updatesā€ every Friday. This was originally to keep track of what everyone did each week. I want to move towards creating a space where students can reflect on their insights, bring in quotes from the data, bring in readings, and begin the writing process (by writing memos) early on.

Iā€™m puzzling over the best way to organize the lab journals. I currently have 8 projects. Do I create a lab journal per project? Does each student have their own? Iā€™m realizing itā€™s going to create more work for me since Iā€™ll also have to give them feedback (or do I?). I could see if I can create lab journals in basecamp.

If I had it to do over, Iā€™d probably get Nvivo instead of MaxQDA. MaxQDA has some features Nvivo doesnā€™t but it relies on a cross-platform PDF library and other non-native Mac elements that can be a real pain to use, especially when youā€™re spending long hours coding.

Notabilityā€™s ability to match recording with the notes you took has been great for qual.

Sometimes Iā€™ll pull everything into mindnode where I can start dragging and dropping notes into a collection of themes/learnings.

1 Like