Anyone buy anything from Temu?

Has anyone purchased anything from temu.com? I just found out about it. But I don’t know anyone that bought stuff and I kinda don’t get how the stuff is so cheap. I saw a couple things I wanted but I still don’t know much about the site.

It’s stuff from China. Not that lots of stuff isn’t from China, but this is stuff from China being sold by companies from China directly into the US market.

In my experience with AliExpress, which is the same type of site, some of it is perfectly fine. Some of it is utter junk. But it’s cheap enough that it’s worth the gamble sometimes. :slight_smile:

There are some security concerns with them:

1 Like

It seems that those authors are talking about the Android version of the app, and telling people to torch it from their iPhone as well.

Does APPLE actually allow Temu 24+ sets of permissions for your device? I find it hard to believe that Apple, with their privacy focus, would let outright spyware through the App Store review process.

I’ve seen enough videos on Youtube to avoid Temu. Junk and misrepresentation galore. I don’t know anything about their app.

1 Like

I agree with you there. With that said, given the amount of bad press Temu gets, I still think security is a legitimate concern.

1 Like

I’ve ordered quite a bit. I would say 80% of it is good quality for the price. From my experience the only bad things I’ve gotten so far were the Apple Watch bands they felt cheap. They ship a lot faster than other stuff from China. Typically about 2 weeks or so.

Yeah, I’d be concerned about giving them my credit card number far more than I’d be concerned about the app itself. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shein, Temu evade U.S. tariff, human rights law imports: House report - CNBC

WASHINGTON (JUN 23 2023) — A House committee exploring economic competition between the U.S. and China on Thursday released a damning report connecting retail giants Shein and Temu to a disproportionate number of import violations.

The Chinese e-commerce companies exploit trade loopholes to import goods into the U.S. without paying import duties or making shipments subject to human rights reviews, according to findings released by the House Select Committee on the Chinese Communist Party.

I notice that you didn’t mention anything about the human rights reviews that are skipped.

I think the point of @SpivR’s post - which I agree with - is that while the article calls the direct-to-consumer shipments “violations,” they’re not actually breaking any laws. The suppliers shipping the packages aren’t subjected to human rights reviews because our government isn’t requiring it. Calling the shipments “violations” is both factually inaccurate and hyperbolic.

Basically, our government made the law. The Chinese companies are following it to the letter, as written. Is the law at least somewhat outdated? That’s what it looks like. Should it be updated? Almost certainly. Would I support a reasonable update that brings it in line with modern retail realities? Absolutely.

But I just wish I could read a news article for once where a politician looked at a situation like this and said, “OMG, I can’t believe this horrible situation is legal. That’s our fault. We’ll do something about that right away.”

1 Like

Some in Congress have done just that.

China e-commerce shipments would lose U.S. tariff exemption under proposed law - CNBC

(Feb. 23, 2023) A bipartisan group of U.S. lawmakers planned to introduce a bill on Wednesday to eliminate a tariff exemption widely used by e-commerce sellers to send orders from China to U.S. shoppers, one of the sponsors said.

3 Likes