Anyone else feel like they _should_ use Firefox, but still struggle with it?

I’d like to talk about browsers! And people are of course welcome to comment whatever they want - but some notes on what my intentions for this discussion is:

For reasons I’ll touch on later, this is mostly about desktop browsers.

In terms of privacy and security, I’m approaching this from a reality where 65 % of people use Chrome. So in this context, vastly improving the privacy from that, is more interesting than saying someone is a gullible idiot if they don’t use a Tor browser. :stuck_out_tongue: So while I’m not saying those things shouldn’t be part of the discussion at all, I’d like to talk more about user experience and features than hardening.

OK, let’s go!

Ethics is always difficult to discuss. Because while I think everyone should be mindful of the small things we can do to improve things, people have different priorities and possibilities. And where should we draw the line while being consumers in a problematic system? Like, I should probably use a Fairphone over an iPhone even though it’s worse, right? How much worse should I accept? How hard should I pull away from things like Facebook or X?

Still, I’m at least trying to try - and as the browser is perhaps the most used app, the choice of it is among the things I’m thinking about.

And here’s why I feel like I should use Firefox:

1. I don’t love the amount of power Google has over the web, among other, things through Chromium.
  2. And while Safari is better, simply because WebKit is less popular, in principle I don’t love that situation either. An example is how other WebKit browsers, like SigmaOS and Orion, have to hack support for Chrome extensions to be able to offer extensions at all…

So while I could mention plenty of grievances with Mozilla Corp. as well, I still absolutely feel like using Firefox/a Gecko browser is among the most ethical alternatives. And even though we might only put it above Chrome, Safari and Edge, it would still be in the top 10 %.

Question(s) 1: How much weight does ethics carry when you choose apps, platforms, services, etc.? If no, why not? And do you agree or disagree that there are ethical reasons to use Firefox over Chrome? What about Safari? Or something like Vivaldi?

Some notes on mobile

As, I assume, many on this forum, my mobile devices are iOS/iPadOS. And while I actually think Safari is pretty good on these devices, I think Apple’s stance on browsers here is one of the most blatant anti-copetitive ones. I don’t mind the fact that others have to use WebKit, really. But combined with the fact that no one else is allowed to offer extensions, it gets problematic. Now, the EU is forcing them to open up some of this - but as many others, I don’t love the idea of Chromium getting even more dominance… So I kinda wish EU had said something like “You have to open up - but it’s only mandatory to do it to browser engines with less than 50 % market share”, or something. :stuck_out_tongue:

This stranglehold also contributes to the fact that I find the mobile browser space much less interesting to discuss…

Two things that isn’t a problem for me, but might be for others:

1. The first is that I don’t have a work situation where I have to use a specific browser (engine). For instance, I know that many are dependent on work tools that only work well in Chromium browsers. But this is a good argument for why those of us who can use something else should. That more and more of the web only works in Chromium is a very serious problem.
  2. I’ve always told myself that “Of course I need to use the same browser on desktop and mobile, as I want sync!”. However, as I only take advantage of this like once a year, I’ve finally realised that this just isn’t an issue for me. :stuck_out_tongue: I think it’s a good idea to keep bookmarks in a separate app (I use Anybox), and shortcuts, like in the bookmark bar or what it’s called, I feel needs to be adapted to every platform anyway. And while I like that my history is accessible on mobile, I don’t see a need for it to be in my default mobile browser. As I do it so rarely, I don’t mind opening a separate app to search for it.

But I’d guess that these might be larger issues for others!

I tried and failed - but now I’m trying again

I tried using Firefox as my default for about a year, around 2022, before giving up. But these are the reasons I’m trying again:

• I think Arc is the best browser. But after being unsure about using it due to Chromium, their recent change of direction pushed me over the edge - so I stopped using it. And I’m using the opportunity from “not being able” to use the best, to give Firefox another chance. :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Firefox on mobile is very uninspired - but, as mentioned, I don’t really care about that anymore! (And I can open Safari on my Mac to get my mobile history, and Firefox on mobile to get my desktop history.)
  • I’ve become much better at programing-adjacent activities since last time, so customising it to my liking is less daunting.

One thing that struck me going back to Firefox, is how it hasn’t improved at all in a year. While Arc and SigmaOS, which I’ve used the last year, get updates all the time (even though the SigmaOS team is like 6 people). It also boggles the mind that to be able to do lots of the customisations I want to do with Firefox, I have to do stuff like adjusting values in about:config and AutoConfig.js and make a custom userChrome.css and userContent.css. But at least you can do those things!

So I’m currently doing a little project where I do my best to make Firefox the best it can be (at least to me). I’ll probably post about this later (I know I’m far from the first to embark on this, but I’d still like to make it shareable) - but here’s a teaser screenshot:

But in the meantime, as I’m very into obsessing over browser details, I’d love to hear from others:

Question(s) 2: If you’re not using Firefox, why not? What would make you switch? (Changes in Firefox, or the browser you’re using now.) And what are some of your favourite browser features in general?

My thought process is as follows:

• I think the existence of Firefox/Gecko is very important for the future of the web.
  • I don’t have much power as a just-a-guy from Norway - but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t do anything.
  • So if it is as good as the alternatives, I should absolutely use it.
  • But here’s the important part, and where I’m currently at: But what about if it’s not as good as the best? (Which it is not…) How large a gap should I accept here? And how small can I make it with the tools available?

-Erlend

2 Likes

I went Vivaldi until Google announced moving to manifest v3.

Now it’s full time Firefox. 1 extension - uBlock Origin was enough for me switch browsers.

2 Likes

Pretty much used Firefox on my Macs from the get-go. Several add-ons clean up web sites: uBlock Origin, Ghostery, Privacy Badger, and (the Facebook specific) FBPurity.

1 Like

I used Netscape and then Firefox (when it came out) for years under Windows. But when Safari came out for the Mac I started using that and continue to this day.

It’s fast, works for the sites I need it for, and it integrates best with macOS. Looking at Firefox recently, its now a cumbersome mess unlike its clean self decades ago.

If you’re not using Firefox, why not?
Better question, “Why?”

What would make you switch? (Changes in Firefox, or the browser you’re using now.)
Only if it Safari doesn’t work on a site I reference.

And what are some of your favourite browser features in general?

Frankly, the only feature I can think of that wasn’t in NCSA Mosaic (or Netscape Navigator) 30 years ago was the unified search and URL field, which also allowed specifying URLs without needing to type in the prefix http://. Every browser does this now. I hardly ever use tabs! (At the moment I’ve got two Safari windows open each with a single tab).

3 Likes

I tried to go with Firefox, I just don’t like it very much. No specific reason, just when I was using it, it had little annoyances (and the answer was always to get some extension). The nail in the coffin was a blue screen on a Windows 11 machine (I don’t know it was the cause, but there is some long standing Firefox bug that could do it and it only happened after I installed it). In the end, I just didn’t get the love for it.

I went with Vivaldi as well on Windows. I use Arc on Macs, but it is starting to annoy me as well, so that might change soon. (One specific bug, and I don’t need the constant new features, which I don’t think are very good).

I tried to cover that. :point_down:t2:

So when I’m talking about feeling like I should use Firefox (as the title of the post), I’m not talking about specific features that would make me use it over other browser, but in principle. (However, I’m (as mentioned) more worried about Chromium’s market share than Safari/WebKit)

But make a segue to @RunningBoris’s reply as well:
Sadly I agree, and I don’t like it very much either! :sweat_smile: And especially out of the box. Without extensions etc. I like Safari a bit more than Firefox, but Arc way more. And on one side, the answer “just get this and this extension” isn’t great. But if someone asks me “if I think macOS is good”, should I answer what I think of it out-of-the-box (very mediocre), or with all the third-party software available (amazing)?

Although, one of several problems with Firefox, is that making it great is way harder than it should. But I’ve actually got it to a place I think is pretty great! And my hope is to be able to make something like that easy for someone to install if they want to.

Mozilla has just gone through some org changes - and I hope they come out the other side with a new focus on simply making Firefox great to use. =/ Because, as metnioned, I really think it’ important that they exist. I don’t love the idea of the web being in total control of just two companies…

2 Likes

It’s probably because it’s the morning and I’m still having my coffee (i.e., it’s probably me, not them, which I’ll realize later today), but I just poked around the website for Fairphone for a few minutes, and my conclusion is they need to work on their messaging — after skimming the page, I’m still not sure what Fairphone is. Is it another phone? Recycled phones? And the “shop” page talks about other products.

Hehe, I guess they could put it even closer to the top, but if you scroll down a bit:

Weird! about the store, though When I go to their site, I can only see their stuff…

Anyway, they’re a smartphone (and recently headphone) maker that tries to make more concious products:

• Very repairable, with great spare parts availability and warranties. (10/10 (!) repairability score on iFixit.)
  • Tries to reduce the use of harmful materials.
  • Focuses on its worker’s condition and payments.

If you don’t put any value into the ethics and repairability, it’s obviously less nice than what you can get for the same price elsewhere! To me that’s pretty obvious, but many hate on them because they can’t make a phone just as nice as the giants for at least not more money. :man_shrugging:t2: (Or they bash them for not being 100% perfect, even though their better at this stuff than basically everyone.) Here’s a The Verge review of their latest phone.

You can also buy them “Degoogled”!

3 Likes

I use Firefox for a couple of extensions which only work on Chrome or Firefox and I don’t like Chrome due to the data ingestion of Google and the fact it was a massive memory hog

2 Likes

Chromium browsers are the most popular these days so they tend to be compatible with the most websites. And due to the number of extensions available they are also the most versatile. But due, in part, to their popularity they are a favorite target and their vulnerabilities are constantly being found and exploited.

Safari is a good browser but it too has its problems. It can’t handle as many websites as chromium and it, and webkit, are favorite targets that Apple is constantly having to patch.

I believe we can do very little about our privacy these days. Whether I’m tracked or not, when I visit “Vendor X” they are likely to sell whatever they learn about me. The same thing happens when I visit brick and mortar businesses. So I’m more concerned about staying secure (protecting my credit cards, passwords, etc.)

So I access Google Workspace with Google Chrome, and use Safari or Edge for everything else. And make sure to keep my applications and operating systems up to date.

1 Like

No, it’s the other way around. It’s not that Chromium is inherently better - some things are supported more there, and some things works better on Gecko an WebKit. However, this is the problem:

• Because most people use Chromium, (lazy) web devs will avoid the things that don’t work in Chromium (that might work fine in Gecko and WebKit), while not mind using things that work in Chromium, but don’t in the others.
  • This makes people think “Huh, I guess Chromium is just better”, so even more people move to it.
  • And this cycle leads us right into a situation where Google hold even more power over the web than they already do.

So it’s not that Safari “can’t handle as many websites”, it’s the websites that can’t handle Safari.

Do you not agree that this is bad situation? Or do you just don’t think there’s anything we can do about it, so it’s not worth trying?

As I mentioned in the original post, I’m not terribly bothered about getting things to the upper echelons of security and privacy. But that’s because you have to put in a lot of effort to go from “decent privacy” to “great privacy”, while it might not mattering that much (at least to me). However, I do think it’s worth it to put in a little effort to go from “no privacy” to “decent privcy” - so I don’t follow you on this. :point_down:t2:

1 Like

Holy cow! You’re really overthinking this, aren’t you? :man_shrugging: But that’s what we sometimes do here on the forum. I’m also really trying to ignore the virtue signaling that is inherent in conversations like this. Leave penance and mortification to the hard-core religious orders. Choose your tech based on your needs and its performance. Use only what you can be happy using. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I agree that a major reason Chromium works better on most websites is the same reason Internet Explorer worked better when it was king. But the main reason that Google Chrome was able to overcome Internet Explorer was that Microsoft got lazy and let IE fall behind. Google isn’t likely to make that mistake.

When Chrome was starting to take over around 12% of the people in the world were using the Internet, today around 70% are online. So no, I don’t think “we” can do anything about it.

It’s going to take a majority of everyday users to change things. And regulations that allow them to make changes. But now that people in the EU are able to change their default browser on iOS small browsers are gaining market share.

We live in a mobile first world so if the US gets similar regulations we may get some real options on all our devices.

EU’s new tech laws are working

1 Like

I keep a copy of ungoogled-chromium without any extensions for those occasional websites that are obnoxious and have issues with various extensions that I normally use. After visiting one of those sitess I wipe all the data manually.

Also, haven’t played with it much, but librewolf is a de-mozilla’d version of firefox.

Mostly on my Macs & iPad I use Brave for work stuff, Safari for personal stuff, and Firefox on my FreeBSD machines.

1 Like

Since you want to talk about feelings rather than specific features, I never liked Microsoft, so avoided Explorer and used Firefox decades ago. If I really wanted to support the originators rather than the copiers I’d still be using NCSA Mosaic. If I was after the most moral choice (and I’m not really sure morality can be assigned to any company) I’d have to ditch the Mac eco-system and run Linux, probably Debian, non-Intel processor, and use a flip-phone rather than an iPhone.

Hehe, yeah - feelings are absolutely also involved! I guess, for me, feelings (worries) surrounding the web has lead to many thoughts about features.

So I started analysing Firefox, and which features I missed from my favourite browser (Arc), and then tried to figure out if I could add them back in somehow.

Some features I missed in stock Firefox:

• Native text handling (so text replacements from macOS etc.).
  • Vertical and hierarchical tabs, including profiles and more.
  • “Little Arc”, that opens a separate browser when I click in an external app (like Mail.app). And then I can hit a hotkey to send the link to the main window if I want to.
  • Customisable hotkeys, and some things that aren’t included in stock Firefox, like one to add the current link to the clipboard.
  • A cleaner design (is this a feature, though??)

It looks like I can get most of these back (but way too difficult…) - but things like this from others, was one of the things I asked about in the original post. :point_down:t2:

Hehe, hard to disagree with most of this (even though a Fairphone over an old flip-phone probably would be OK :wink: ). However, I know that I would never manage to be an ascet and “the perfect consumer/citizen”. But I don’t want to become so defeated by this, that I don’t see value in discussing small things to improve, if you know what I mean. For instance, you could view a conversation about desktop browser on a Mac, as saying “OK, going Linux is too much for me - but are there choices within the choice of a Mac that can matter a bit?”

But while I’m very certain that we, if we have the means, should try to be concious about our choices as consumers, there’s tons of stuff surrounding this I’m not certain of. Like evaluations of different options, what we should prioritise, most impactful actions, what needs to be collective action and what individuals can do, and much more!

You don’t think, if we have the means, how our choices affects others (for instance through environmental and societal impact) should factor in when we choose what, and how, we consume?

(And, is even asking this question virtue signaling? :wink: )

1 Like

Making your choices based on how they affect others is one way to live, if that’s your choice. But it is also a technique that some people would use to coerce my behavior.

1 Like

I’ve been using Firefox almost exclusively for the past year or so and I find it really good. I tried Arc recently and while I found their approach refreshing, I found myself missing my core bookmarks and traditional browser set up.

I rotate through different browsers all the time to see if I gravitate to one in particular but always seem to go back to Firefox. I cut away from Chrome several years ago. I want to use Safari exclusively but always run into annoying little quirks that are frustrating.

I use Velja to easily switch my default browser so I can try different ones

3 Likes

Yes, having “how it affects other” be a part of how I make my decisions is absolutley the way I want to live my life. And I would hope for the the same from my neighbour.

4 Likes