Anyone Else Having Issues with Setapp

As of Thursday 9/23, I noticed that none of my Setapp Apps were working. I even tried the Setapp App and it doesn’t launch either. When I launch a Setapp App, it starts to launch and then stops. Eventually the Activity Monitor identifies the App as Not Responding. I suspect that their license servers are down.

Just thought I would check to see if anyone else was experiencing the same problem, or if it was just me. I did send a support note to Setapp as well.

Thanks!

1 Like

I just did a nuke and pave on my MBP and loaded 6 Setapp apps yesterday. All are woking fine. This morning I clicked on the menubar icon for Forecast Bar and got a beachball and it did not open. I tried a force quit and the name Forecast Bar did not appear. I looked in my Applications folder and it did not appear there nor in the Setapp folder within the Applications folder. Same results after a reboot. I reinstalled Forecast Bar from Setapp and it appears to be working as expected. Will post here if I run into any problems with Setapp.

I am experiencing this right now (Sept 25, 2022 ~ 9AM CST).

Popping in here to note that I’m having the same issue since transferring to a new computer. Permissions seem to be okay, and the apps work for a while, but every few days, they stop working. I click on Setapp apps and they do not open — when I go to Force Quit, they are listed as “Not responding.” Uninstalling Setapp using the official uninstaller, then re-installing and logging back in seems to work. But I would love to fix this for good.

Sorry you’re experiencing this. It has been rock solid for me since I had this problem in Sept 2022.

I’m sorry to hear you’re going through that.

I’ve periodically been tempted to try Setapp, but the risk of things like that happening is one of the reasons I’ve held off.

Yes, Setapp is a single place to get a good selection of software for a single monthly or yearly payment, but it’s also a single point of failure for the 10 or 15 apps I’d end up getting through them.

And if one or more of those is a critical productivity app and I’m on a deadline…

The problem has magically resolved, or at least I haven’t seen it for a couple of weeks. And for me, Setapp is totally worth the risk/hassle involved in something like that. I suppose if the whole system went down for days, I would sing another tune, but I think I (and probably most of us here) are adept enough at work-arounds to figure out something in case of emergency. I can’t think of anything that is absolutely mission-critical and exclusively on Setapp for me. It’s more like home of 15-20 apps that make my life way, way easier on a daily basis.

1 Like

I’m sure that’s true for a lot of Setapp users. OTOH, from a pricing standpoint Setapp looks especially appealing for someone who wants to (for example) use both Ulysses and NotePlan, but those are exactly the sort of apps that would be very painful to suddenly lose access to, especially for a longform writer facing deadlines.