Anyone else seeing "Exposure Notifications" using a ton of battery recently?

My iPhone 8 has been agonizingly slow several times over the last several days and it finally clued in to check my battery stats to see if something’s grinding away, and Exposure Notifications is my top battery user for the last 24 hours, (29%), and the last 10 days (19%).

Has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone have insight into why this might be happening? A quick search on Twitter says I’m not alone.

Yeah, this battery drain from Exposure Notifications is a known issue. I think its because the phone is constantly locating itself and other phones nearby, particularly if you are out and about. Many have turned it off for this reason. FYI, my 12 Pro is at 9% battery usage from Exposure Notifications over the last 10 days.

I’m turning it off after I get my second vaccine shot next week. :grin:

No; 5% in the last 10 days (6% in the last 24 hours).

Mine’s had its ups and downs, but it’s been seriously heavy on usage recently. Then again, I assume it’s proportional to total phone use and mine is pretty low nowadays. It did work and spot 2 encounters though, just not long enough to be risky.

I charge my iPhone 12 Pro Max every night. After a day of typical use, its capacity is at 50 to 70%. If I use it a lot, it might be at 30%.

I have “Exposure Notifications” turned on - for months now. I just checked the battery usage: 9% during the last 24 hours and the same during the last 10 days.

I am fine with the feature and I am grateful that it exists. The battery usage has not been an issue for me so far.

I’m happy to have it running, but a few times my phone’s been pretty much unusable, and I’ve been wondering if I should try to set something up where it’s only on when I’m not at home.

I find that much more concerning than the battery drain.