Anyone else using Tot (for iOS and Mac) and what are your thoughts?

I’d like something that sync’d through dropbox or similar instead of iCloud. I use different accounts on my Home and Work ( employer owned ) macbooks, and on top of that iCloud is disabled on my work laptop.

At home I use the Unclutter app for notes, files, and clipboard history. I don’t see a reason to switch to ToT.

For Dropbox sync check out Joplin. (Or if you have your own cloud on NextCloud or OwnCloud, there’s QOwnNotes.)

I like how beautiful Tot is but sadly, the Sharing button has limited capabilities. I have contacted the developers and hope they will have some enhancement down the line. Ideally, I’d like Tot to be the place I put my thoughts or notes and the drop down menu bar is the perfect place for it, BUT, I’d like to be able to then choose and file it away into Evernote, or Notes.app… a little bit like a mini Drafts app. Until then, I am currently using Evernote’s menu bar drop down, which does what I need except, it’s just one “tab” instead of Tot’s seven.

Wow. Tot really does look like the they stole from FiveNotes. That makes me uncomfortable…

1 Like

FiveNotes has been around since maybe 2016, originally called Quick, IIRC. But $4.99 seems a bit high for it (then again $19.99 for Tot on iOS is absurd). I think Tot is better-looking with greater attention to detail.

The idea of limited notes in different colors isn’t new. The 99¢ app Quick Notes has been around for a few years too.

But again, I think Tot is a better looking app, even if it has fewer features.

2 Likes

Quick Notes looks beautiful! Does it let you save to Evernote?

For those who use it, Tot plays nice with the latest version of Tinderbox.

2 Likes

This means that a document in Tinderbox 8.6.x can “watch” Tot and import the 7 notes. This can be configured so that any subset of the 7 can be watched rather than all 7. It is not a two-way sync – the data from Tot is imported. IMO this is good for a limited, scratch-pad type case where notes taken on iOS are imported to Tinderbox. (Or macOS, but why bother?).

FWIW, Tinderbox can “watch” an Evernote notebook, or files in a folder in the file system.

1 Like

For completeness, Tinderbox also interacts with Simplenote, a free, cross-platform (including web) notes app. Surprisingly, I don’t see much mention of Simplenote here in the Discourse.

Unfortunately due to API changes and throttling made by Simperium, Simplenote integration with Tinderbox is not reliable

I use Apple Notes. It’s free with iDevices and has icloud syncing built in. You can use share sheets to create notes or send a note to another app.

I highly recommend it.

I gave up on Tot on the Mac when the most recent update got crashy. I ended up just keeping the free version of Drafts hidden in the background. Pretty app, but Drafts does more.

I like and use Apple Notes, but drafts feels faster to use (and even the free tier has Mac/iOS syncing).

I deleted Tot. Never tot of a use case and never tot to open it.

1 Like

Adding my appreciation for Quick Draft on iOS, iPadOS, and MacOS.

The app is a lightweight scratchpad app, actively under development, syncs reliably via iCloud, and supports markdown. I like to use the iOS share sheet to process text I write in Quick Draft.

2 Likes

Great suggestion I didn’t know about. Just downloaded FiveNotes.