Anyone Having Success Getting A External HD To Work With IPad OS?

Anyone Having Success Getting A External HD To Work With IPad OS?

I have tried several different brands that I have on hand. When I connect directly to my 2017 iPad Pro, I get the error about device requires too much power. When I use a three way cable, which pulls power from a charger, then has a “split”, one for hd and one to lighting adaptor, I get a spinning hd, but nothing in the files app.

Also, I have tried several different brands of usb thumb drives. Most throw the error when plugged in directly. Weird thing though on theses, I have three of the exact same brand and storage size, ONE works great. The others throw the error.

Using a dongle, I can read a SD Card well.

I’ve only tried one external drive with my 2018 iPad Pro (a SanDisk Duo) and it worked fine.

I wonder if this might be related to using a Lightning-based iPad, rather than a USB-C one. I’ve got a lightning to USB adapter on order for use with my iPhone, so we’ll see how that does.

1 Like

Good point ChrisUpchurch! Let me know if your new adapter works when it arrives. Surely there’s a way to get this to work for me! I have been very excited about this new feature.

I tested the following this morning and had 100% success:

SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD
Samsung T5 SSD
Adata SE730 SSD
Patriot Rage Thumbdrive with adapter

Just tested with a WD Passport (spinning drive), and the iPad sees it as well.

1 Like

What model iPad did you use?

1 Like

All external hard drive mounted and are working properly on my iPad Pro 2018. Not sure if that’s an issue with a lightning-based iPad Pro as I don’t have any way to test it with a 2017 model.

1 Like

it is the 2018 12.9 iPad Pro

1 Like

My Lightning to USB adapter arrived. I’ve tested it with the my iPhone XS and iPad mini 4 (both running 13.1), with both the SanDisk Duo and a SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 drive. In all cases, if I just plug in the drive, I get the error message saying the device requires too much power. However, if I plug a charging cable to the power pass through on the Lightning to USB adapter, I don’t get an error message and the drive shows up in the Files app.

So, my conclusion is that flash drives will work with Lightning based iOS devices, but you need an external power source and a USB adapter with power pass through.

1 Like

THANKS ChrisUpchurch!! Placing my order right now!

Haven’t tried yet but just watched and YT video and didn’t realize that NTFS and FAT32 formatted drives are not supported.

1 Like

And that brings up great concern for me, because i have a lot of back up on NTFS that i sure would like to move over to icloud. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(That NTFS drive is getting old. I NEED to move things off of that).

You can also use a non-powered Lightning adapter, but then you need a powered USB hub to power the disks or USB-sticks. In this example a Garmin GPS and two USB-sticks are attached to an iPhone.

On a GPS forum this was a test someone did. I have both the powered and non-powered USB to Lightning adapters. With the non-powered adapter I can only attach SD cards and with the powered adapter my GPS, but also USB-sticks and a Samsung T5 SSD. I was not able to get spinning USB drives to work, maybe it is possible with a powered USB hub.

2 Likes

FAT16, FAT32, exFAT and HFS formatted partitions are supported, I tested those. NTFS isn’t.

2 Likes

Thanks FrankV! I now have the proper set up on order. During my test with a three way cable, i was using the standard Apple power supply. According to the fruit folks, this was not enough, so i have ordered the more powerful power supply, cable, and the adapter.

Thanks for sharing. Now i know for sure that i am on the right path.

Yes, it depends on the power source and how much the attached device needs. With my Anker PowerPort+ USB charger it works fine, when I attach my GPS. I tried several power banks and I could get it only working with one that was able to deliver 2.1 A, another one was 1 A and that was not enough. I think the standard iPhone charger is 1 or 1.5 A, so that is not enough.

1 Like

HA! And that’s the charger that I had ordered. :slight_smile:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0XexgWkN6AdJhyvqkzNsc29yQ