Anyone Using iCloud's End-to End Encryption?

I’m considering turning on advanced data protection in iCloud. Anyone else turned it on? Any issues? Specifically I’m interested in iCloud Drive.

I’ve turned it on and to me there is no difference, everything has been fine :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have turned it on about two months ago. I have had no issues at all.

There are two things to keep in mind:

1. Manage web access to your iCloud data - Apple Support - “If you turn on Advanced Data Protection for iCloud, web access to your data at iCloud.com is automatically turned off to ensure that your data is available only on your trusted devices. If you’d like to access your data on iCloud.com, you need to first turn on web access. Then each time you want to access your iCloud data, you’ll use one of your trusted devices to approve temporary access.” I do not use the iCloud web page, so I do not care.

2. ADP does not work with iCloud for Windows (I do not care).

4 Likes

I’ve had mine turned on since day one with no issues

2 Likes

Enabled it the day it became available and have had no issues.

1 Like

Nice, thanks all! Sounds like I’ll be turning this on soon as I get my wife’s watch upgraded.

I have an old 2012 Mac mini capped at Catalina (everything else can handle - MacBook Pro, iPads, iPhone, watch), or I would have turned it on. Only workarounds I know of are to disconnect my Mac Mini from my iCloud account, or try to “hack” my Mac mini with OpenCore Legacy Patcher (I actually tried this, but ran into some error messages and got leery of it).

1 Like

Had it enabled for a while with no issues. Make sure you have a recovery contact, and a recovery key you can access without access to iCloud (printed off and stored somewhere safe).

2 Likes

My only problems were that I had to sign out of my Apple account on my old phone I use for a clock on my desk and Apple Music app on Windows 11 doesn’t let me sign-in anymore. I can still use the web version but there audio isn’t as good. I have to use Windows for work unfortunately.

1 Like

I use it and it works fine. I’d been occasionally using iCloud in the browser and stopped after turning on encryption. Wasn’t giving up anything.

Has anyone bought a new iPhone after turning on the encryption and transferred their data?

1 Like