App-specific password issue

I created an app-specific password to work with Microsoft Outlook on my Mac, iPad, and iPhone. I have done this twice. Each time the password works fine across all devices but eventually fails on iPad and IPhone and I get the “please enter app-specific password” repeatedly. Mail and Calendar (and likely Contacts fail to sync). When I go to appleid I get this but no way to copy the password.

Turned off iCloud Keychain?

I’m not sure why Outlook would keep forgetting the login credentials repeatedly but there’s no option, once they are created and shown for the first (and only) time, to view the app-specific passwords on the appleid website.

Keychain is working in the iPad, though there is no entry for Outlook. Is this a setting on the iPad or do I need to access it on my appleid page?

… unless there is somewhere else I should be looking.

It seems that this is a Microsoft rather than an Apple problem:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/why-does-new-outlook-repeatedly-ask-for-an-app/6c688594-f526-414a-9b3c-b82f2f015701?page=2

I end up with a similar problem with Fantasical. I keep a copy of the app specific password in my password backup spreadsheet.

3 Likes

Don’t know as I gave up using app specific passwords after finding them to be unreliable and inconvenient.

Revoked the old ASP and created a new one. Recorded it this time in 1Password (which I thought was supposed to do this automatically). Keeping fingers crossed.