App to Archive and Uninstall Apps

I seem to remember many years ago having an uninstaller app (maybe it was even called a program at that time) that would create an archive of the app, along with its associated files and folder structure, then, optionally, uninstall it. It was very useful if you were doing a major upgrade to an app or installing an app to replace another. You could run this and then stash away the archive in case you wanted to bail out of the new app and reinstall the old one.

Anybody have any idea of what can do this now?

Thanks.

Tony

I’m not sure there’s an app that will do all of those things automagically for you. I know that CleanMyMac, Hazel and others can attempt to clean out files associated with an app after it’s uninstalled, but those can be hit-and-miss as not all apps put their files into the usual locations in the user Library folder, and things get trickier if said app also installed any multi-users or system stuff.

Whenever I’ve needed to roll back an app update, I go into Time Machine and restore the previous version of the app, and that usually gets me back to a working state again. You could probably restore the app settings from Time Machine too, although I’ve not had to resort to that step.

1 Like

iMazing comes to my mind. but it is not an app to backup Mac apps, it works for iPhone apps.

The AppDelete app is maybe what you’re thinking. The original developer died but it was picked up by another and still works for me.

AppDelete by Reggie Ashworth

• Archive/Install from Archive feature for safekeeping and transferring items to another Mac
  • Password requested only once if needed instead of multiple requests
  • Keeps a Log of all activities and has the ability to Undo a deletion
  • Moves items into an organized deleted package in your trash
    AppDelete by Reggie Ashworth

:arrow_up: looks interesting. I’ve used Appzapper for years and it still works plus CleanmymacX

Thanks for your reply.

I think you’re right. I know I used to use it, and I still have my license code. However, in checking the website, it looks like it only runs on Intel Macs and they have not updated it for M1 Macs. Maybe that’s why it fell off my radar.

Too bad. I remember it as a great app.

You’re right. A great app. I’ve used it for a few years but, as you say, it’s only for iOS.

AppDelete is indeed an Intel app but runs on my M1 MacBook Air. Just this last December, I found an archive of an old version of the Reeder app I had made before deleting it, and restored it to my M1 MacBook Air. AppDelete’s unarchive operation worked. And the unarchived Reeder app also worked. Win win!

Right, again. Seems to work OK on the M1. I think this is what I was looking for.

1 Like