App to calculate interest over time

Hey there, I hope this has an easy answer. I just wanted something simple to track how much is actually owed on my various loans, lines of credit, etc. I use YNAB to keep the budget going, but they have no way to actually track the figure of loans over time based on what’s in the account at present.

Am I making sense?

Both Numbers and Excel will have built-in functions for financial calculations, like amortization, present value, interest etc.

Very powerful when you know what you need, but possibly a bit esoteric at first.

1 Like

Yeah I know, and thank you for the suggestion. The thing is, I’ve never been good with spreadsheets–I find them confusing and way too much for what I need. I’ve tried that route before and it just sucked hours away with no clear win for me. I seem to be mathematically deficient in this regard. I was hoping there was just some kind of basic calculation app out there.

And there are–loads of them. So now I’m left with asking which one might be the best, given that there’s no clear winner. I guess part of what this community is is a way to remove the wheat from the chaff… I suppose I wanted to know if anyone had success with anything and then I’d know what to try.

Another vote for learning to use a spreadsheet. Sorry. :man_shrugging: It’s not that difficult, Numbers is free, and there are plenty of free-to-cheap resources that can help you.

1 Like

Take a look at PowerOne. You can add different calculations from a template library. The screenshots below are for a mortgage example.

That said, I also believe Numbers will offer you the most personalized option. There is a built in Numbers Template for a mortgage amortization calculator that only requires you enter in your own numbers and no other math required.

2 Likes

I use a HP 12c calculator app. Performs quite a number of financial calculations.

Thank you both for your suggestions! I appreciate it. Looks like I need to learn something new. If templates exist though, it may not be too bad. :slight_smile:

Does it support infix notation as well as the classic HP RPN input? Adjusting to RPN can be a bit of a chore (one I don’t regret in the slightest) :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, it is RPN only. I’ve been using HP calculators since my HP-45 in college. I really hate using non-RPN calculators.