Apple Credit Card- Strikes me as ridiculous

I like Apple and have no interest in an Apple credit card so I have no skin in the game but this strikes me as ridiculous. Who wants a credit card that you can’t keep in your leather wallet and can be damaged by other credit cards among other things? I’ll stay with plastic. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No different than many other cards. I’ve had problems with some cards breaking in my wallet. Leather dyes can discolor many things. Who cares if it becomes discolored? As long as the function isn’t affected it’s not a problem.

Besides, the idea is to use Apple Pay via your phone or watch instead of the card. I’m hoping the additional security will be a benefit. My primary CC has been replaced 3 times in the past year due to fraud and security breaches.

2 Likes

Perhaps this is Jony’s last design?

3 Likes

I just got my physical card in the mail and I’m going to keep it in my leather wallet. We’ll see if the news is true and I don’t really care if the leather effects it. So far, I like it.

I understood that that your regular CC numbers were never passed to the vendor when you use Apple Pay. If this is correct, the security for regular & Apple credit cards would be the same - when using Apple Pay via phone/watch/web.

Is this incorrect?

You’re correct. The difference is that Apple supplies a number separate from the physical card for non-Apple Pay digital purchases. A new number can also be requested at any time.

It will be interesting to see if the APR goes up If you let the card get dirty. :grinning:

I do find that support article funny, but I also appreciate that Apple employs enough technical writers to be able to publish correct information about the less frequently asked questions. They’re a good example for other companies.

I keep all my cards in a rubber band loop that destroys all of them and I’m sure Apple’s will fare no differently, assuming I keep it in there since I’m only planning to use it with Apple Pay.

1 Like

I have been using my Apple Card for a while now and I love it. Unfortunately the APR I got was higher than I had hoped so I plan on paying it off every month (a good thing to do anyway). But I like how I can track everything and the easy of pay all integrated in the Wallet App. Also, the physical card came in the mail the other day. It is beautiful. I used it for the first time last night and it’s true, I have a little fear of it getting ruined because it is beautiful. However, I think it’s sort of one of those things, once it gets a little dirty I won’t mind. The award structure really pushes you to use Apple Pay instead of the physical card, so I don’t expect I’ll be taking it out of my walled too often anyway.

2 Likes

Ever stored any credit card in your wallet?
Depending on the leather it will stain. However crisp white might show better.
This article is just clickbait

5 Likes

My issue is not that a standard credit card will stain, scratch, etc. It is after all plastic. But, one would think that a titanium card would be a bit more sturdy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

“You’re holding it wrong.”

It is a status symbol I guess. My wife I now re-edit, tell me that in the fine print there are features she doesn’t like: intrest is high and the back up company is not one with a good rep… I am quite happy to try it though :wink: At present I use Discover, I got it purely to help my credit status on coming to America. I would rather flash an Apple card though. Though my wife is disuading me now.
One needs a card to pay stuff really now that cash is going out of style, checks too. I never in my life have done anything other than pay a card off at the end of the month anyway and intend, as long as I am lucky enough to be able to, to keep doing that.
@MacExpert is of course right as usual: the article is click bait.

1 Like

Whenever you have an Apple item that stains, or causes furniture rings, or scratches easily (which has all happened, with and after Steve Jobs at the helm), or even easily gets muddied by fingerprints, you get these types of articles.

The people who like to complain usually aren’t Apple users or fans, but it’s guaranteed they don’t understand Apple’s decades-long devotion to wabi sabi in its design language. Signs of use are signs of life. The design team does not look to protect hardware, seeing something ineffably beautiful in an old leather jacket, or a scuffed-up iPhone.

5 Likes

Then It would be just uncoated titanium. Ceramic coating perhaps?

1 Like

I completely agree with this. I always use my devices naked because they are beautiful and also they are still beautiful after they are worn by use.

2 Likes

IObviously this is a highly individualistic matter. I for one try to avoid as many scratches, dings, and dents in my vehicles as possible. I also work hard to keep all of my relatively expensive devices looking as good as possible, partly as a matter of resell value later on. And, the more expensive the item the more I want to take care of it as a matter of stewardship of my family’s finances. Again, this is just my particular perspective on these matters and everyone is entitled to his or hers. :upside_down_face:

Who? People who want to carry the the coolest card ever. :blush:

1 Like

Yeah you’re kinda missing the point. The physical card is just a bonus.

1 Like