Apple has rejected the HEY Calendar app

Meanwhile, it’s already on the Google Play store, it’s fine, nothing particularly exciting. It’s got some interesting ideas but I am not sure it’s for me at this stage.

Now, the game of blame will begin as people will come out supporting the relevant sides which neither party actually needs.

Kinda getting tired of these kind of disagreement between platform owners and developers.

Link to the app on Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.basecamp.heycalendar

It looks alright on the Pixel Fold (screenshot from the Play Store)

Looks like the DOJ is ready to referee some of these disputes.

This is something that needs to be addressed. Unlike the other thread:

Where is it not obvious what the issue is, this is a seemingly clear abuse of power by Apple. And it is long past time that the App Store monopoly be eliminated.

6 Likes

I’m surprised Apple did this again but also that 37signals didn’t ship the calendar equivalent of the email workaround (the free temporary account generator.) Maybe DHH was hoping for a dustup.

My initial impression is similar to yours: intriguing design but I wouldn’t be able to completely rely on it in my current situation. It does have me thinking that a separate personal calendar environment that only subscribes to free/busy work events might be nice after 15 years of everything integrated. No rush to decide.

1 Like

Brilliant advertising for Hey though, he types cynically.

6 Likes

I don’t disagree with him, but between him and Sweeney (Epic), I find it difficult to feel sorry for them. They aren’t small companies and they do this for marketing (as you said). Hey got a lot more attention on release just because their CEO had a fit online.

When it’s a small indie developer I can understand it, but with these large companies I find it hard to believe they wouldn’t get a lot of help going through the process if they just asked Apple to work with them. But maybe it isn’t that easy?

3 Likes

I completely agree. If there were five viable mobile operating systems competing or if new competitors could feasibly break into the mobile OS market and have any chance at all of capturing a significant chunk of market share then it wouldn’t matter, but Apple is just engaging in monopoly rent seeking. And no, Android alone isn’t enough competition.

1 Like

Sorry, but I just don’t see it. I have an incredible variety of phones from any number of manufacturers that I can buy, including not buying a phone that I carry on my person.

Apple has successfully penetrated or captured a market because people want to buy them. Nobody is being forced to do anything. The marketshare numbers do not support the charge of monopoly.

Think back, if you are old enough, to when “Ma Bell” ran the telephone system in the United States. Now, that was a monopoly.

8 Likes

It is not a monopoly because you don’t have to buy or use Apple products. There are plenty of other good choices. Please see, for example, the table of mobile phones that Marques Brownlee picked as his choices for best phones in a wide variety of categories Smartphone Awards 2023! - YouTube .

2 Likes

Same thing happened to @Litchie… His app was approved and update approved and update approved and then one day not approved even though no functionality was changed in the update. AppStores are innovation killers and they make devs nothing more than Apple contract employees.

2 Likes

You probably can imagine that the people who get first crack at approving or rejecting an app have mangers for whom they work. And that those managers have managers, etc. Decisions in any company can be reviewed and sometimes over-ruled at higher levels.

Just like court rulings are made first at the lowest level but are sometimes kicked upstairs to a higher court and occasionally overturned.

1 Like

Yes I can imagine them… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

There is more than one type of “monopoly”. As Apple has exclusive control over the sale and distribution of software for the iPhone and iPad, this is a monopoly.

1 Like

I would not trust my livelihood to Apple as gatekeepers. They’ve shown a total lack of integrity as demonstrated by the apple watch ban. Anyone with any form of innovation will either end up being sherlocked or have their innovation stolen.

As so many businesses depend on the iPhone and iPad for their livelihood, it’s time to remove apple’s control from what is allowed on an iPhone, iPad and watch.

4 Likes

Huh? I am not sure patent battles and corporate politics are any indication of a company’s ethics. And if they are, just about every large corp is horrible then.

While, I do think the app store is a bit out of control and these stories come up far too often, there seems to be many devs doing quite well under the current system, even if it can be troublesome, so I am not sure it’s as bad as you make it out to be.

2 Likes

Patent battles based on Apple hiring Masimo employees to steal the patents.

2 Likes

I see this argument quite a bit but I do not understand it.

Company A creates a product. Other companies piggyback off that product. The result of which is that Company A is now responsible to ensure the success of these other companies?

Taken to the logical conclusion, does this means that even if the iPhone or iPad stop being profitable for Apple, Apple must continue to make them because other companies depend on them?

2 Likes

They can’t steal their patents, they tried to make their own solution to the tech. Companies hire employees from competitors all the time. This is a very common practice.

Edit: I am not saying the practice is right or wrong, I am saying it’s not an ethics thing.

1 Like

No, Apple have removed HEY’s business from their store. They’ve killed it in one short move. Shouldn’t be allowed.

1 Like

It was not removed from their store. All of Basecamps apps are still there. Their new calendar thing isn’t, I am sure if they talk to Apple, they can get it through, they aren’t some small indie developer.