Apple Magic Trackpad

I use a Logitech MX Master 3 mouse, with which I am very satisfied.
However, I have always been intrigued by the magic trackpad.
Do any of you use it?
Is it a peripheral that could integrate with the Logitech mouse or would it be a useless ‘duplicate’.

I use it in place of a mouse, It would be a useless duplicate to have both in my opinion. I mostly prefer a mouse, but someone told me a trackpad is more ergonomic. Not sure that is true, but it is the reason I still use it.

1 Like

I have a Magic Trackpad to the left of my keyboard and a MX Master 3 to the right. The trackpad gets the vast majority of my pointer input (I’m left-handed), but I’ll sometimes grab the mouse if my left hand is occupied or I need to do something that’s easer with the mouse, like right-click dragging.

6 Likes

I’ve used a trackpad in place of a mouse for 10+ years. I can’t see a use case where I would need both.

4 Likes

I don’t think having a duplicate is really useful. But as an alternative, you can use an app like Better Touch Tool to add all sorts of gestures which makes the track pad more useful than a mouse.

Having said that, and owning a recent Magic Trackpad as well as the original smaller one, I tend not to use it because my displays (27" iMac + 27" external) cannot be traversed with a single swipe while maintaining a decent resolution. The trackpad is too small!

1 Like

I use it instead of a mouse. I find that the gestures (which I modify just slightly) to swipe, select, drag, and use Mission Control make life so much easier :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have one, but never use it. I find that it takes energy, and stresses my wrist slightly, to hold my wrist and hand above the trackpad. With the mouse, I can rest the base of my palm on the mouse pad and the rest of my hand gently on the mouse, and nothing gets activated until I press a button.

Or am I missing something with the Magic Trackpad?

Magic trackpad wins hands down for me. I have an Apple Mouse, but put it away when I realised I hadn’t even touched it for a year.

3 Likes

Definitely!

So much better than my Apple mouse (which I have not used for years).

1 Like

I have a Magic Trackpad to the left of my keyboard, and an MX Master 3 to the right. Day to day, I use the mouse as my primary pointer, while scrolling sometimes using the trackpad on the left.

My wife is a physiotherapist – one of her favourite things to say is that “your next posture is your best posture”. Meaning, there is no ideal position for your body to be in, the important part is to keep moving. I’ve taken this concept and applied it to peripherals.

Occasionally (roughly daily on a long day, but sometimes I don’t) I move the trackpad over to the right and use it exclusively for a while to give my wrists a different position and movement pattern.

7 Likes

I have a Magic Trackpad to the left of my keyboard and a Logitech MX Vertical mouse on the right. I typically use the mouse as my pointing device (I like the precision and ergonomics) and find the trackpad helpful for scrolling and zooming. This combination is especially helpful when doing video editing.

3 Likes

I have the Magic Trackpad to the left of my keyboard and the MX Master 3 to my right (I’m right-handed).

I love the trackpad for scrolling, zooming, and swiping. But I found that when I also used it as my primary point-and-click device all day, every day, I frequently had pain in my right wrist. The mouse wasn’t cheap, but it was money well spent. The ergonomics are a lot better for me, and I seldom have wrist pain now.

2 Likes

I use a Magic Trackpad 2 to the right of my keyboard and a CORSAIR Dark Core RGB mouse to the right of the Trackpad. I use the Trackpad for everything except gaming because it is a more natural hand position and I have a lot of gestures set up through BTT. But a mouse is far better for gaming (of course, a game controller is better still, and I have one of those as well).

1 Like

As a few others have posted, I also have and often use both with my iPad. Trackpad is top left of keyboard and mouse to the right.

2 Likes

Another vote for trackpad instead of mouse. I’ve used nothing but Magic Trackpads for at least half a dozen years, possibly almost a decade now. Although if I were to go both/and, I’d probably do it with a vertical mouse. My wrists don’t like mice, and when I tried to switch back to a large trackball I felt like couldn’t get things done nearly as easily as with the trackpad.

BTT allows you to “overclock” the cursor travel, but that may cause you to overshoot things. FWIW…

I use the Magic Trackpad with my iPad and the MX Master 3 with my Mac.

That said, the Apple Magic Trackpad is the ONLY trackpad I have found that works really well. Anything shipping on the corporate Windows laptops I’ve used over the years have been totally useless.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
For the time being, I think I will continue to use the excellent Logitech MX Master.

I’m also a mouse (MX Master) and Trackpad devotee, I used both for navigation however have an extensive set of trackpad gestures mapped to actions with BetterTouchTool. I like that these gestures are available when I’m using my laptop away from my desk.

I also have my iPad Pro 12.9” to the left of my monitor using universal control. I find it far better to navigate the iPad with the Trackpad.

Some examples of my must have gestures.

Four finger swipe
left - window to left half of screen
right - window to right half of screen
up - maximize window
down - hide window (command h)

Tip tap two fingers
left - copy
right - paste

Double tap two fingers - resize window and centre on current screen (like a focus mode)

Double tap three fingers - resize window to other monitor and centre

Double tap four fingers - quit app that is running

Just a few :slight_smile:

However if I had to only use one, I’d get rid of the mouse at this point, it’s taken me many years to get to this position.

1 Like

I’ve used the trackpad for so long now I wouldn’t know how to switch back to a mouse. The gestures are second nature and really enjoy the experience.

3 Likes