Apple Notes – a quicker Quick Note on iPhone

I’ve come to really appreciate Quick Notes in Apple Notes and now its coming to iPhone. Except, not really. Apple’s implementation is for it to be accessed in Control Centre like this:

So, I came up with a solution that I’m experimenting with, which is to create a shortcut to run Quick Notes anywhere by using Back Tap. This prevents me from having to move my finger to the top right to invoke Control Centre – all I have to do is double tap (or triple tap, if you prefer) anywhere on the back of the phone and it opens a field to type notes.

If you’re interested, here’s how to set it up:

1. Create a new Shortcut:

2. Go to Settings > Accessibility > Touch > Back Tap

With Back Tap enabled and configured to your liking, when you double or triple tap the back this is what happens:

5 Likes

Nice idea.

My only issue is that I found back tap to be very unreliable. Sometimes I tap and nothing happens, and the next time I put the phone in my pocket and the tap action gets triggered. Ugh.

2 Likes

I agree, this needs to be improved.

One thing that has helped is to use triple tap (it helps prevent the accidental triggering). I’ve also found that three slightly slower, more deliberate taps is more successful than three rapid taps in succession.

I’ve never had an accidental misfiring of backtap; I have had a failure to fire.

Having said that I’ve had the following two for a long time:

• Double backtap starts a new Drafts draft.
  • Triple backtap takes me to OmniFocus Forecast.

Incidentally I’m using the (still in beta) Launcher Lock Screen widget to kick off stuff quickly. (I share this in the spirit of “quickness on iPhone”.)

1 Like

Roads near me must be horrible. I had to disable back tap, because it would repeatedly fire on the way home, when I would mount my phone in a cradle on the dashboard.

1 Like