Apple Numbers file compatibility 10.1 (Mac) vs 13.0 (iOS)

I have Numbers 10.1 on an older MacBook running 10.14. I have Numbers 10.3.9 on the iPad/iPhone running iOS15.

If I were to update Numbers iOS to current version (13.0), would the files still be compatible with the Mac Numbers 10.1 app?

I am trying to avoid updating iOS Numbers and then not be able to open the files on the MacBook.

Currently the files work fine and sync via iCloud. I am keeping this MacBook on an older version of macOS for some software compatibility issues. I do plan on getting a new iMac when the new models come out, but in the meantime I am stuck with Numbers 10.1 and macOS 10.14.

I cannot find any info on Apple’s site about file compatibility between versions.

I’m not sure but here’s a Numbers document I shared in a recent thread discussing Numbers. That document was created with the current version of Numbers on my iPad. You could try it on your MBP as a test. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Thanks @Denny I was able to open your document on the older Mac, but that got me thinking and I created another iCloud Numbers document that contained a newer Function formula, downloaded that, and got an error message that I needed to open the file on a newer Mac or “on the web”.

I removed the newer function formula with a standard one, downloaded the file, and was able to open.

So from these limited tests, it seems to be related to the content/formula functions, and not the file itself.

But this is enough confirmation that there are indeed version interoperability limitations and I should avoid upgrading the iOS devices until I can upgrade the Mac.

Thanks again!

1 Like