Apple Podcasts With Transcripts in iOS 17.4

Just in case if somebody has missed this new feature in iOS 17.4. I am so looking forward to this.

4 Likes

This requires the creator to intentionally add the transcript feature to an episode, yes?

Katie

Apparently, podcasters can simply tick a box and Apple will do it for them. They can also edit the transcript once it is generated, as well as provide their own transcript.

2 Likes

As far as I understand, it should just work without the need to do anything. The default is that Apple creates transcripts for everything. The podcaster can choose to provide his/her own transcripts.

When you submit your show to Apple Podcasts, transcripts will be automatically created. If you would like to provide your own transcripts, you can change the transcript setting for your show in the Availability tab on your show page in Apple Podcasts Connect.

(…)

If you don’t see a transcript for your episode:

• Check your episode details in Apple Podcasts Connect to confirm if there’s an issue or warning > message in the Audio and Transcripts section.
  • For new episodes, make sure it’s been at least 24 hours since your episode was published.
  • For older episodes, Apple Podcasts will transcribe these over time.
  • Make sure your audio quality is high and meets our requirements. Episodes with cross-talk or music may limit the quality of the transcription.

Oooo as someone who dabbles in corpus linguistics this feature is rather appealing. Transcripts for podcasts that would otherwise not be available to use with corpus linguistics software.

Being able to search via text and to jump to the position is something I will use:

You can search transcripts, select text, and tap on text to jump to that point in the podcast.

From: Full, automatic podcast transcripts coming to iOS 17.4 – Six Colors

They can add transcripts to podcasts, but it took 40 years to get conversation view on iCloud.com email. Priorities, I guess. :thinking:

2 Likes

That seems to be the case. It took 12 years before they added Weather to iPad, 10 before they added Health. And the Vision Pro is launching without Pages and Numbers.

2 Likes

Wow. I guess even their own in-house app dev teams haven’t bought into the platform yet. :face_with_monocle:

This is a pretty cool feature. I just wish it were open in some way, like if you could get the transcript URL from a predictable URL based on your feed/episode name, so you could include it in your feed.

I don’t understand a business computer without a spreadsheet. But Apple doesn’t have Numbers (or Pages) listed.

I’ve been very happy with Apple’s Podcast app for several years now. Tried several others but found they weren’t up to all the hype. Worst of the bunch was Overcast. I’ll never understand how that app is so popular.

1 Like

I used overcast for several years and liked it, but I’ve come back to Apple Podcasts. It works well for me, so that’s one less subscription.

I like that the official app is designed around a different experience than Castro and Overcast design for (and same for the rest.) It’s a good thing if some people strongly prefer each of the options.

1 Like

If the podcast supplies an official transcript, instead of relying on apple to make it, then there will be a predictable link in the RSS feed

https://help.apple.com/itc/podcasts_connect/#/itcb54353390

Depending on how Apple does their version it might be available from apple as well.

1 Like