Apple politely explains why iPhone cases are a waste of money

Well, that’ll teach you to drive your RR out in public rather than keeping it in your five car garage in pristine condition. You should know better. :joy:

2 Likes

Yes, for some reason, my wife told me the same, the other day… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nope, total BS IMO. I defy anyone to keep an expensive iPhone working in the face of farming without some sort of protective case and even then it’s not perfect.

The iPhone is slippery, more so when your hands are wet with lamb slime or muddy with irrigation water. If I need to do something at that time I need it to work and not fall into whatever quagmire I’m stuck in. I am a die hard fan of OtterBox cases. Wonderful, beautiful, functional and protect my investment.

Because I want said beautifully designed device to keep working for many years for me. iPhones are expensive. I keep mine for 4+ years typically. I expect it to look pristine when I finally replace it.

All of the LambTracker and AnimalTrakker Android tablets are put in kids cases for improved survivability.

This is us sorting ewes for breeding last December

And here we’re processing the results of that, tagging and DNA sampling a newborn lamb.

4 Likes

I love this so much.

Your setup reminds me that I’ve been considering getting an iPad Mini with some kind of adjustable arm I could clamp on my VW Bug in the garage while I’m restoring it. No way I’d want an iOS device in my garage around all that concrete and metal without protection.

1 Like

I am not buying the design, I buy the Hardware and the working OS.

8 Likes

It’s my device. I will dress it up as I like it Apple. :joy:

3 Likes

I definitely think #3 is a factor. Some people have to have the latest Apple shiny and seeing others with it can be a trigger.

Ha! well I have to concede your point. What is the Apple Watch for though? I use mine when ‘in the field’ as it were and my iPhone is in a ‘safe’ place. Range is a problem though I confess and I don’t actually ever answer a call on the watch and only use it for notifications in practice.

I am also amazed at the abuse the Apple Watch has taken and still functions. I forgot to change it for my G-Shock a few times and it is still working fine after 5 years. I normally change to the G-Shock when I use a pick, strimmer or heavy tools or work in water but forgot to do so every time for months now. I have to use a pick to get some plants into the places I want them to be.

Ever since they did away with the gentle curve of the iPhone 3G I’ve used the thinnest case I could find just so it doesn’t slip out of my hand or off the armrest of the couch. If I could actually hold the thing I’d let my iPhone go au naturel.

1 Like

I inadvertently chuck my phone around so often… I would never go careless.

So have it. This is the brand I’ve used on my last two phones.

1 Like

I haven’t worn a watch for over 20 +years. Watches and me DO NOT GET ALONG. :blush:

Seriously though a watch is a serious problem as are rings or any jewelry when doing 3 things I do often, fishing for lambs, operating farm machinery and dealing with recalcitrant electronics.

1 Like

Yes of course!. I started my life at sea as it happens, trawling fleet: and indeed no jewelry, rings etc… Obviously. Probably ideally even now if I am planting my test beds or fiddling with things, I do wear a hard hat sometimes. I hadn’t thought of Apple stuff in that way really. Mostly I am in my study or a library now. I still have ‘Marine Bells’ app on my iPhone, I am not sure if it still works, it gets on my wife’s nerves so I turn it off indoors and forget. I still like a ‘chime’ of some kind really for time.

1 Like

This is the one I use as well. I like that there’s a tiny (almost invisible) bump pattern on the inside of the back of the clear case to keep it from sticking to the back of the phone.

1 Like

Honestly @WayneG I get the best stuff from you!

1 Like

As a farmer, I think a case is quite a good idea.

2 Likes

… and then my shiny “new” iPad Mini, bought 10 months ago, was being pulled down without much force from the position where it sat while charging with a USB C cable from less than two feet onto the tiles in the living room being “protected” with the amazingly expensive Smart Folio “case”. My fantasy story from 14 days ago has become reality. Only difference: It was not the tail-wagging Golden Retriever, it was me.

And no surprise there: there is a tiny dent at the corner of the space gray aluminium nearby the power button. Lovely. And boy, a dent looks even more awful in Space gray.

So… Apple really is right: their cases are a waste of money. You have the same protection going caseless. (Sorry, I am a little bit … yeah, you know… And yes, I know that the Smart Folio does not protect the edges… :slight_smile: )

I am thinking about buying a real case. It needs to be small while still protecting the iPad Mini. Has anybody experiences with the OtterBox Symmetry case?

This contrasts with Apple’s idea of “obsolete devices” that they will refuse to repair under an authorised service. For example my 2018 iPad Pro with a punctured screen after a floor fall (I was offered to buy a refurbished 2018 iPad Pro at the price of a new iPad and the guy mumbled: “This makes no sense”). I also have an iPhone 8+ that is not under repair coverage either. Both are working, to be honest, but not being able to receive official service is outraging for devices that are less than 5 years old.

The key item here being that for such a time frame, the device will certainly fall to the floor one time or another. So yes, you need a case.

Totally understandable. I’m a little bit . . . just because my “amazingly expensive Smart Folio case” started coming apart in less than six months.

1 Like

Either a case or apple care. Depends on how deep your pockets are. Or who’s financing the phone.