Apple quietly raises price for Apple One, Apple Music and Apple TV+

Two weeks before renewal, you can see yours change. mine did.

TV+ is great! Slow Horses, Severance, Foundation, Servant, Loot, Ted Lasso, Shining Girls, The Shrink Next Door, Central Park. The docus are high quality like Beastie Boys, The Velvet Underground (which is also coming out of criterion collection), Fireball, Home, Fathom.

Try out Pachinko, I know some people are put off by subtitles. But this trilingual series (Korean, Japanese, English) is damn good adaptation. I’m surprised it’s not making a splash in the US.

I think not too many people are taking advantage of TV+ because their content is not hyped that much on social media.

2 Likes

I’ve never been able to make the math work on the bundle. I think this is, in part, because I don’t want to use Apple Music. But I think it’s also because you get a discount on all the apple services when you pre-pay for a year.

Apple Fitness (we use)
AppleTV+ (we use)
Apple Arcade (we use)

All three are discounted already when you prepay for a year. The only thing I pay monthly is the iCloud storage, and we’re still at the $2.99/mo tier as a family.

All this talk of Apple TV+ originals and not one mention of Mythic Quest! I’ll offer that up as one of my favorites.

I like the idea of Apple One, but with the combination of services I use (TV+, iCloud, Fitness+), the pricing doesn’t make sense for me. That said, I feel like I’m getting good value from the individual subscriptions.

3 Likes

Ah crap! Mythic Quest. Yes I forgot about that. Charlotte Nicdao sold the show to me.

I’m an Apple One (Premier) subscriber. Of the six services, I actually care about two, iCloud+ (2TB) and Apple TV+. The storage is mandatory, can’t get away from it. And I genuinely like Apple TV+ as a service, if not every show. It remains a great value, IMHO.

I don’t mind having Music, and my wife seems to like News+. Arcade isn’t getting used at all, and Fitness+, I should use it, and it’s aspirational, but it’s not getting used at all, either.

When I look at this price increase, it forces me to think again about what I spend every month on subscriptions. And I start thinking that maybe I should subscribe to only the services I actually use. $17/month < $33/month, by quite a bit. I can live without Apple Music (though I’m now forced to fix the library corruption that Apple’s cloud music services did to my imported CDs), and my wife has plenty of Internet left to read if News+ goes away.

So my question is, is there a safe, standard process for leaving Apple One, and signing up for the (two) individual services I want?

I’m specifically concerned about iCloud+, since we’re way over any free limit for iCloud storage. (The only reason we were on the Premier plan for Apple One was for 2 TB of storage.) I don’t want everything wiped just because we’re changing plans, and the transition requires resetting, or something awful like that. And I’d hate to lose my viewing history or watchlist, too. (Not that either is particularly well implemented in the Apple TV app…)

Mine also still shows the old pricing for Apple Music (I’m in the EU). I don’t think they can just update the pricing without notifying customers first though. I was expecting to see an email about this.

1 Like

I tend not to watch shows so I’ve found apple tv a complete waste of time. Anything I want to watch costs money.

Go to Subscription on your Account Settings, View Apple One. There is a button “Choose Individual Services”. It also let you see how much you are saving (or not saving).

1 Like

They’ve put my Apple Music up with no notification at all (UK) now £16.99 (Family plan)

I’m on this, but going to cancel. For two years now apple have been unable to make the content settings stick. I don’t want explicit music and in my opinion it should be off by default, but on my wife and my devices it turns itself off. I’ve been in contact with apple support, but they cannot fix it.

Now’s a good time to return to spotify as it’s the same price.

Edit: fixed typo’s

1 Like

Going to cancel as well, I got the premier sub due to fitness plus and I did enjoy News+ up to a certain extend but it’s not worth it for almost £33.

I don’t use arcade and don’t need more than 100GB of cloud storage. I am “lucky” to have a wife that works in education and can get student discount which means Apple Music + TV for £6. Considering that I can get an annual Fitness+ sub which equates to circa £6.70 per month, I can potentially get all services (except for News+ and Arcade) for £15. I didn’t do this earlier just because I thought it would be nice to have the whole thing.

I get why they’ve increased the price of TV+, but they should at least offer an annual Premier plan for committed folks.

Woke to this email

Thank you for subscribing to Apple One. We wanted to let you know about an upcoming change to this subscription.||
Apple is raising the price of this subscription from £29.95 per month to £32.95 per month. Your subscription will automatically renew for £32.95 per month starting on 30 November unless you cancel at least one day before. To learn more|

1 Like

And just to be really clear , I got this on opening Apple Music:

As the whole family use it, still presents pretty good value for us.

I looked into cancelling Premier and switching to individual services (love that helpful pane on iOS for that), but right now bundling makes more sense. On top of the 2TB iCloud storage (~500GB used), my partner and I regularly use Music and News+. I’m not interested in most of the shows on TV+, but I am looking forward to the next season of Severance.

Would love to switch off Apple Music, but the competition doesn’t meet my needs, sadly.