Apple Vision Pro: Are you getting it? (I'm debating)

I do not want to derail this topic more than necessary, but let me say just this: you will be very happy when it eventually materializes (typing this on my M2 Pro Mac Mini). :slight_smile:

I suspect this weird soft launch is because people will basically be paying $3,500 USD for the privilege of being beta testers for not only the hardware and OS, but for the whole concept.

1 Like

Indeed! Iā€™m not willing to be a free beta tester, let alone pay for the ā€œprivilege.ā€ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Iā€™m trying not to be cynical, but I just canā€™t get at all excited for this. Worse, I worry it will just distract Apple from their other platforms for awhile. Maybe somebody will come up with a killer use for the Vision Pro, but Iā€™m not holding my breath.

2 Likes

At this point, I have no interest in buying this.

I sense that itā€™s a very cool, amazing, incredible, geeky toy that draws nerds like a tractor beam from an Imperial Cruiser.

Iā€™m sure it would be great for watching movies (as highlighted by Tim Cook in his interviews), but my wife and I usually watch movies together, and Iā€™m definitely not buying two. I think it would destroy the ā€œtogetherā€ part of the activity sitting together (even holding hands) with units strapped on our heads.

For that matter, I canā€™t imagine the awfulness of a future filled with people walking around in an office or outside with these things strapped to their heads. I thought masks were isolating and divided people!

Thanks to my Mac, iPad, and iPhone, I think Iā€™ll do fine with my productivity without one.

2 Likes

I am not sure I see what problem it solves, or why I should useā€¦even if I could afford it :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

A hearty amen from me. You expressed perfectly my feelings about this. I donā€™t want to strap that contraption to my head or be around people with it strapped to theirs. Iā€™m sure there are valid use cases, and more will be discovered, but I believe those should and will be niche and isolated.

And, Iā€™m certain my wife doesnā€™t want to walk into the living room and see me with one on. :slightly_smiling_face:

I wonā€™t be getting one yet, but I look forward to when I will. I am excited about the prospect of a monitor-less computing experience, but at this price, I want to see all the kinks worked out first by day one adopters. :joy:

4 Likes

There is at least one wearable monitor available for sale and I expect many more will follow. Apple is leaving a lot of room for lower priced competitors

That will be absolutely brilliant when it gets to the point where the headset looks and feels like an ordinary pair of eyeglasses

In my heart, of course I want one. But, for what it is and for what it costs, buying the first generation is probably not the right thing for me to do. Thankfully, Apple has decided for me because itā€™s only launching in USA and I am in Australia.

So, I look forward to my American Mac power users to test this one out and share their thoughts.

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard several Apple podcasters describe this Vision Pro as more of a Dev Kit than a consumer product. Many say they are waiting for the next version.

1 Like

ā€œSo, I look forward to my American Mac guinea pigs power users to test this one out and share their thoughts.ā€

:wink:

1 Like

ā€œApple will only produce between 60,000 units and 80,000 units of the $3,499 headset for the release Feb. 2, Kuo wrote on social mediaā€œ

Not forgetting the creepy robotic eyes in the front, thatā€™s even worse than the goggles that make you look like a storefront mannequin. Too much uncanny valley for me here.

1 Like

These are the use cases that Iā€™m most interested in hearing. Iā€™m not considering getting this first version, but am interesting in later versions (especially if theyā€™re smaller/ more akin to something like a pair of sunglasses).

Iā€™m frequently on the road in my current role, but while working from home I make use of multiple monitors, and keep several apps open simultaneously on multiple screens that I swipe between constantly. Having that capability available in a wearable device that I can take anywhere sounds very appealing.

Edit: XReal Air 2 could be the device I end up going with, as this is immediately available and significantly cheaper. Still, I look forward to all the things coming out about AVP.

1 Like

I donā€™t see that happened until men and women start wearing buzz cut hair. :woman_bald:t3: :man_bald:t3:

And I thought the Vision Pro was bad!! :joy:

I appreciate everyone who will be getting this, finding its pros and cons and testing it out for the rest of us who will wait for V2 or V3.

Maybe it will get to a point where everyone will be wearing these things and projecting to each other the hairstyles and clothes they want to be seen wearing, when in reality they all have shaved heads and are wearing identical gray pajamas, like inmates of some futuristic dystopian prison.

And theyā€™ll look back on the Vision Pro as the device that started them all down that roadā€¦

2 Likes