Apple Vision Pro: Are you getting it? (I'm debating)

I am a huge apple fan and am lucky enough to have the means to afford this. However, I am more afraid of the potential for addiction. I am already very addicted to the iPhone and I can imagine this device could be like an iPhone on crack. I am trying to find a way to keep the device away from the infinity pools of doomscrolling… Any thoughts?

Time-locked container with a charge cable snaked through ventilation gaps? Only half-joking.

4 Likes

I can’t imagine it’ll be usable for significant periods of time between the weight of the headset, the potential comfort factor and the strain on eyes (this second could change with practice)

I have absolutely no interest at all in it, especially at that price. I’m working to use screens less in my life, not more.

10 Likes

100%.

I’m no tech prognosticator, but I can’t shake the feeling this thing will fizzle out before too long. They’ve invented something before the “real use” has been discovered. Either I’m right, and it’ll fizzle out, or we’ll all be wearing them in 5 years. I hope I’m right.

3 Likes

I’m definitely getting one. I’ve already set an alarm for pre-order day. I’m hoping that Vision Pro will give me something much more akin to my multi-display setup when I’m on the road with just a laptop.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting one, but I’ll be on a trip on launch day, so I’m going to wait until I get back to order one.

Not a chance. But I might consider a Power Mac G4 Cube. They were always pretty neat!

1 Like

Hmmm … I wonder what a person’s face and hair might look like afters hours of wearing this thing? Perhaps a concern for one’s appearance will limit its use? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Nope, I won’t be getting it.

If this class of devices succeed technologically and in the market, they’re going to be lighter, cheaper, more comfortable, and have better battery life in a few years.

And if they don’t, I won’t have wasted thousands of dollars and hours of time chasing a dead end.

3 Likes

No.

Marques Brownlee said “It’s so heavy” that he didn’t know if he would want to wear it on a four hour flight.

2 Likes

“Bad VP Hair!” :joy:

1. Characters
2 Likes

No. Big Apple fan. Have the money. But I will wait for early reaction. If it actually is a productivity tool I am in. But I suspect that people will actually prefer to work with their old systems.

2 Likes

Even if I were to get it as gift or free I would not. I have a kid at home and I would keep it away from the kid. I have no intention of even trying it. I would rather have a beefed up Mac Studio on steroids.

1 Like

It will not be available over here and it is too expensive (may be worth it, I don’t know, but it is expensive). It will be interesting to see how it will perform outside of the reality distortion field in the real world. I am still interested though.

From a developer (Steve Troughton-Smith):

Initial coverage was definitely fueled by the WWDC hype, but I will say that the Vision Pro is still very much a VR headset in form factor. It’s kinda heavy; you need a perfect fit, in the sweet spot, or you won’t have a good experience. You may have borders at the edge of your field of view (especially if you’re gonna add Zeiss optics). You will be able to see pixels on the passthrough cameras, and struggle with low light environments — they are still cameras. Go into your preorder informed. :+1:

Interesting thread:

2 Likes

No. I only care about Macbook Pros.

I’m not in the US, so I can’t anyway. But there is no way in heck I would be an early adopter on this. At that price I’d be more than happy to let others buy the product, find it’s strengths and weaknesses, etc. I’ll read their thoughts with interest.

But until there is a genuinely viable use case, and a thriving app ecosystem, I’d sooner buy Apple stock with that kind of money.

2 Likes

No, I’m not getting (buying) it, because I’m not getting it (seeing it’s added value).

A keynote by Steve explaining what you can do with it might have helped…

Super surprised that they “announce” this without a new special event!

3 Likes

I hope that Apple has something in mind “what you can do with it” because this feels to some degree like throwing the Vision Pro at the wall in order to see what or if it sticks.

Doing this with a VR device at this price point feels … courageous?

Or is this their way of dealing with extremely limited stock supplies and a suspected high demand? Is there a high demand? Who knows… It for sure does feel awkward.

This launch feels like a spec bump for a Mac Mini. But it is supposed to be the introduction of “spatial computing” in Apple’s ecosystem… Weird.

1 Like

I would buy an M3 Pro Mac Mini today, though, because I need to replace another aging Mac Mini at home. Knowing if the Apple Vision is for me will require waiting to see other’s reviews, see the specific apps built for it, and trying them before buying them.

1 Like