Apple Vision Pro Preorders

Anyone else out there foolish enough to join me? @MacSparky?

9 Likes

Notes on ordering:

• The process was very smooth.
  • I ordered on Mac, since that was the first place the store came up for me.
  • On Mac, you use a FaceID capable iOS device to scan a QR code, which opens the Apple Store app to scan your face
    • Apple must be really confident in Handoff to make it part of the ordering process for a new flagship device, but it worked perfectly for me
    • The face scan is less finicky than Face ID training. Just turning your head left-right-up-down rather than having to do a complete circle. The app has you do it twice.
  • Storage tiers are 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB
    • 512 is an extra $200, 1TB adds $400 (same price premiums Apple is currently charging for an iPhone or MacBook Air)
  • AppleCare+ is $499 for 2 years or 24.99/mo (hell yes I got AppleCare+)
  • 25 minutes after ordered opened, the 256gb model is showing delivery February 13-16
    • 512 and 1TB deliver February 6
    • At many stores all of the sizes are available for pickup February 2-3, so it seems like if you want earlier delivery you can get it by ordering a larger storage tier or picking up in-store
  • Accessories include
    • Travel Case for $199
    • Belkin Battery Holder for $49
    • Additional Battery for $199
    • Additional Light Seal for $199
    • Additionall Light Seal Cushion for $29
    • Additional Dual Loop Band or Solo Knit Band for $99
11 Likes

I look forward to reading about your experience. That will be interesting and fun!

As for me, after reading some of the earliest reviews, my initial thoughts are reinforced; there is nothing about the product that entices me. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

They seem to be selling well in Madison WI.

Ordered mine started at 7 AM. Decided on in-store pickup, not delivery, given the price. That immediately bumped me to Saturday pickup at 10 AM. Ordered…your time is no longer available. Picked 1 PM, ordered…your pickup time is no longer available. So I’m getting mine at 2 PM on Saturday Feb. 3rd, which was the first time available by 7:15 AM this morning.

3 Likes

Me too!

8 Likes

RIP my bank account. Apple Vision Pro: Ordered – 512 Pixels

8 Likes

I bit the bullet and jumped in as well. Ran into some slight processing issues where Apple Pay would finish but not complete the order. Overall a pretty smooth experience. I was surprised the fitting experience put me at a M head band. I have a pretty large head and hope it’s accurate. I did in store pickup for 2.2 at 8AM. Maybe the store will have other sizes if I need to change.

The Apple Care price really shocked me. It’s nearly 2x as much as a similarly priced MBP. That and the travel case really pushed the price up. I’m not normally a clumsy person, but maybe my recent accident of dropping my fountain pen right on the nib has made me paranoid this week.

What accessories did everyone add if any?

2 Likes

I’m the opposite. Rather than try to get one, (my discretional hardware budget is being saved for the iPad DNA sequencer due out this year from Oxford Nanopore) I spent my early morning dream time outlining the very first apps I want to program to use it, how I’d integrate them with my current apps/database and what I’d need to learn.

6 Likes

AppleCare+ for the base model 16" MacBook Pro (which costs exactly the same as a base model Vision Pro) is $399, so $499 for the Vision Pro isn’t too far off.

Apple seems to set AppleCare prices based on the price of the lowest-end model in a particular line and sticks to that same price regardless of configuration. So you pay the same $279 for a $1599 entry level 14" MBP as you do for a maxed out $6899 model.

Travel case and battery holder. I thought about the spare battery, but for now, I’m holding off on that until I see how I use the device.

You’re right. I was looking at the 14" for $279. That makes complete sense that the starting price would dictate AppleCare+.

That battery holder was the only other accessory that interested me. I’m still debating how much I’ll be moving about with the headset vs plugged in.

1 Like

The repair costs are $$$$$$ Vision Pro replacement/repair costs up to $2,399 without AppleCare - 9to5Mac

1 Like

:astonished:

Are you reconsidering declining AppleCare+?

I imagine integration into animal husbandry and production is a potentially interesting market.

Katie

Probably not much ROI for VisionPro if the use case is blogs, ranking apps, and commentary.

Katie

I’m waiting for the Apple Vision Air.

5 Likes

That would probably be popular. The Vision Pro weighs almost as much as a 12.9 iPad Pro.

My wife and I ordered one each. March 8-10 delivery date.

3 Likes

I have no intent in purchasing this at all, but am interested to hear real life use cases for it. More interested (as a tax accountant) that David is apparently writing it off as a business expense.

1 Like

Isn’t his business testing and commenting on tech?

3 Likes

I am in, but worried. I wear reading glasses 95% of the time, but wear progressives for driving or really anytime I leave the house. I hate them and generally find them hard to use because I have to position my head just right to make text in focus. Apple/Zeiss specify to use your normal everyday prescription and that progressive prescriptions will work (had to search for this info). So I ordered a 512gb with Feb 2 delivery, but the lenses they say will take 3 weeks.

Edit, just got a text that my prescription is approved and they will deliver Feb 2 as well.

2 Likes