Apple Vision Pro Q&A

At some point, I would like to see some head-to-head comparisons (“compare and contrast”) of software running on the VP and the iPad.

I anticipate a Vision Pro Field Guide in our future. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Did you guys buy the case, or any of the other accessories, and do you like them?

I really don’t want to spend $200 for Apple’s case, but I want the AVPs to have a home when I am not using them. The Apple case looks huge and I don’t need to travel with them, I just want a dust protector and a platform/tray of some sort.

I believe it was said on a podcast (I feel like The Talk Show) that Apple expects people in this situation to be wearing AirPods. To be confirmed by owners though but I imagine it’ll be very distracting.

2 Likes

In the MKBHD reviews he says anything over 50% volume is going to be very audible to people around you. But, on a plane you need noise cancelation, so the included speakers aren’t going to work well anyway.

2 Likes

They are fairly loud. At higher volumes people in the same room will be able to hear everything you do. Edit: that said the immersion is good enough that other people having a conversation in the room isn’t that distracting.

The sound is really impressive for general listening, but there is zero bass. For that reason I prefer the AirPods for movies anyway.

2 Likes

How is Guest Mode?

Both my wife and I are interested in the Vision Pro, but we only want to buy one. Is it feasible for one person to use the guest mode as a regular user or is that too limited?

2 Likes

It would be frustrating to use guest mode regularly. I think the key is how often your wife plans on using it. Guests must be allowed access via control center and have to go through an initial setup (3 minutes or so) adjusting to their hands and eyes. This happens every time they take it off and put it back on, even if just for a break.

Oh and using a passcode is no good. I was going to download a movie for my wife so I tried punching in her passcode, but I could hardly navigate the UI. That initial eye setup makes a big difference turns out.

Your peripheral vision is limited similarly to cupping your hands around your eyes in the shape of goggles. It didn’t distract me and I forgot about it quickly

1 Like

Not a question but a comment for others - I know the battery pack cannot be hot swapped, but today I used a portable 5,000mah Mophie charger and got an additional two hours of life while trickle charging AVP about 15% up in the process. This makes way more sense to me than $200 spare batteries.

3 Likes

Of course it will! And from what I understand the answer will be the same. If the AVP is based on iPadOS it’ll have the same limitations or similar. One big difference is screen size. I’m fairly certain at least some user frustration with the iPad is screen size. It’s not often mentioned but I think it’s an issue. The AVP solves this issue. But many/most of same critiques of the iPad will apply.

And, on the flip side, for anyone that uses the iPad as their computer for “real work” , well, they’ll likely find that the AVP works well for them. I’d guess there might be certain limitations. For example, I do quite a bit of work with Affinity Publisher which is fantastic on the iPad. Not sure if it will work on AVP or how well it would work.

1 Like

Most of the discussions don’t taken into consideration that “real work” isn’t the same for everyone. My physician uses an iPad to review and update my medical history and send prescriptions to my pharmacy, etc. The accounting managers I knew spent all day using email and Excel spreadsheets on the largest iMacs we could buy. Some executives I have known rarely used anything more than their iPhone.

Of course the Vision Pro like the Mac, iPhone and iPad are real computers. My question is what will the Vision Pro become? Everyone talks about the AVP becoming a pair of “Ray Bans” at some point. How? Regular glasses can’t have the required light seals, etc. It seems like smart glasses are more likely to replace the iPhone (and Apple Watch?).

So is the AVP an eventual replacement for the Mac?

3 Likes

Yeah, a lot of people are saying that and I think they’re just saying it without actually thinking about it. If that ever comes to be, it won’t be anything like the AVP. As you suggest, smart glasses would be something much lighter, closer to the Apple Watch.

Given the hardware in the AVP, the light seal, etc, no way it becomes a pair of glasses. Now, that said, I could see it being further optimized, made a bit smaller, a bit lighter. But just an optimization and trimming down of the current form factor.

1 Like

Maybe something closer to this:

The Apple Vision Pro is closer to Virtual Reality than Augmented Reality. AR is more about displaying text and graphic overlays directly on what we see around us while allowing normal behavior (walking around outside and even driving). Ray Bans will eventually work just fine for that.

2 Likes

You are undoubtedly correct that the VP will never become a pair of glasses. Which means I don’t ever see myself purchasing a VP. That is okay; I’ll never own a Ferrari, either. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Technology now can’t turn them in a pair of glasses. I imagine in 20-50 years there will be technologies that can, or some form of what the AVP do. Anyway, I have seen a few articles saying the Meta glasses are a realistic alternative and are pretty cool for daily use. Never mind AVP, those alone might evolve to something everyone wants to use.

The people usually talking about that are writers and podcasts in the tech world. The vast majority of the workforce it is a simple answer: no, you can’t do the majority of your work on these. In my 30+ years of working, I can’t think of one job I had where it would have even partially worked.

But work is changing, fast. Work is not one thing, even now. Some parts of “work” are more important than other parts.

One of my sons could do a lot of his work (endoscopic surgery) using these or something similar now (using 3D visualisation in endoscopic surgery was his PhD thesis!), but it would be useless in the outpatient clinic, on the ward round, in board meetings and much else. My other son (software engineer) could use one for parts of his work too but it would not work for other parts. I’ve had aspects of several jobs where these would have been brilliantly useful but not for all parts of the job. Whether I could have justified a pair (whether all the parts of the job added up to a need for the device) is another matter and would depend on cost-benefit, as it would for any other tool.

But there’s a place for something cool and innovative even if the bean counters can’t justify it completely. When I ran schools I would fight to put a few “awe and wonder” items into the budget every year - everything from a real dinosaur fossil for display in the science atrium to properly and safely resourcing a fireworks chemistry module to turning the outside of a lift shaft into a climbing wall to a satellite station that let us see the earth live, to an industrial robot arm that could lift a car, to a really, really good trampoline to a large telescope. Obviously, we had to make sure we prioritised the essentials, but the benefits of letting enthusiastic teachers decide together how to share their passion and let (maybe only a few) students discover cool things they didn’t know existed and to raise everyone’s aspirations was important.

Business is business, but I remember being impressed by the T Rex in the Googleplex when I visited!

3 Likes

The one thing the VP stands above the iPad on is that I often have 3 screens of windows open with various apps and documents I am switching between. The AVP would handle that fine. I can’t imagine wearing it all day though.

I have a feeling that that will be just a little late for my purposes. :joy:

1 Like