Apple Watch battery life

I have an Apple Watch 9. Normally the battery life is excellent but it has nosedived over the last 24 hrs. No idea why and I haven’t installed any new software. Anyone else had similar problems? Thanks

Have you tried restarting it? (Seriously - that solved it for me last time I had a battery nosedive on my Apple Watch)

7 Likes

If restarting doesn’t work, try unpair and repair. That can also fix these oddities

Thanks. Yes just trying that. Otherwise I’ll give Apple a ring. Thanks.

When I go into my gym my battery can drain very quickly. I assume there is no cell service and it leaves the vicinity of my phone and an AirTag so it looking for all those. If I put it in airplane mode I am able to maintain the charge and t it can monitor my workout.

1 Like

Workouts on my non-cellular Apple Watch probably drain the battery 3X more than normal. Lots of things to measure/calculate and a tiny battery?

I’ve found both my Apple watch and iPhone had battery life drop in the past week. Somehow the battery management changed. In the watch’s case, it won’t charge above 80% because it thinks (wrongly) it has learned how I use the watch. It somehow got messed up. The iPhone was even more diabolic – somehow “Clean Energy Charging” got turned on and that stopped it recharging at night. So both devices were running out before the end of the day.

You can turn off optimize battery charging on your iPhone. I have no clue about the Apple Watch.

Apple updates frequently change the settings on my devices.

About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support.

My watch seemed to be using more battery in the last week or so, draining all the way down to almost nothing by the end of the day. I restarted it at @shandy’s suggestion and my battery is much improved. Been using it since 7:00 a.m. this morning and as of 4:30 I still have 71%.

Just turning off “Clean Energy Charging” on my iPhone allowed it to fully charge. There isn’t even a way to tell it what hours are “clean” so this feature is rediculous. I’ll turn off “Optimize Battery Charging” on my watch if it fails to learn my usage pattern, which is to put it on the charger two hours before bedtime and then wear it at night.

EDITED TO ADD: last night the watch finally learned my usage pattern and charged to 100% before bed. Only took it a week and a half.

1 Like