Apple Watch is on charger but battery not going up

My Apple Watch battery is at 80% and is on the charger. It’s been on the charger for an hour and it’s still at 80%. Hasn’t gone up or down.

I tried rebooting it but that didn’t change anything. It came back and said it was 78% then it said 80% and sat there.

I hate the Apple Watch charger because it’s not able to really plug in, but I guess there’s no alternative.

Is there some trick to do when this happens?

Answer: turn off “optimized battery charging”

See link below for details

9 Likes

There are a lot of reasons, why someone would want to have his batteries at 100% at a certain time, and it is good to switch of (or at least check) the function for that, but in general I would recommend to keep it on during all other times, as it is a good function to keep up the health of a battery.

Yes, that’s true and good advice.

I sleep with my Apple Watch on, so the only time I’m charging it, I want it to charge as quickly as possible, so turning the setting off makes sense for me, but in general if you are charging it overnight, I would definitely recommend keeping the setting on.

My wife recently had this problem. Turned out the charger had been pressed back into the third-party holder she uses for it. It was close enough to the watch to register as connected, but not close enough to provide enough current to properly charge it. The watch would just maintain the same amount of charge the entire time it was on the charger. Once I pushed the charger forward so that the watch was actually touching the charger, the issue was resolved.

Of course, we could get into debates about whether a holder should be used or not, but it sure is easier to use an upright stand with a solo loop. In any event, it looks like @tjluoma resolved his issue. I am posting this as another possible cause in the event that others run into the problem.

1 Like