Apple's antitrust issues vs. Epic Games (Fortnite)

That doesn’t change the fact that Epic Games only cares about their store. They want all the money to themselves. They will gladly tear apart Apple’s App Store in order to get developers onto their own store, in which Epic Games can rake the cash in.

1 Like

Well, I’m still glad Apple stopped Epic’s evil plan by giving developers what they’ve been advocating for. :wink:

Looking forward to seeing what further changes are in store.

1 Like

This is absolutely a great solution. And actually, I love that a great, positive solution came out of all the “app fairness” dishonest PR BS (and I’m not talking about Big Sur here) coming from Epic et al. No thanks to their action itself, though.

1 Like

Oh, guess what. Looks like that never truly was about small developers. Color me shocked.

Yes, those critiques are about the change not applying to all developers, but also the cut still being larger than what they want to see (some of those developers want the cut to be lower than what Epic proposes, so it’s not a uniform response.)

I don’t think I could ever persuade you all that this is an asymmetrical dispute depending on swaying public opinion, so the smaller parties in this have to be the loudmouths here, and the larger party, with the position of strength (their platform), is the only one who can afford to speak demurely to the public.

You don’t get it. Epic Games is a corporation. They never cared about the developers. It was purely about themselves, and Apple specifically gave them the middle finger.

I had actually planned on sharing that article in this topic.

I think the anger from Tim Swine (the BOD should really fire him…) is enough proof that Epic Games is jealous and selfish.

1 Like

Oh, I am totally convinced that this dispute rests on swaying public opinion. I am however disagreeing about Epic being a small party. And I could not despise more the hypocrite tactics they have employed in the process. :slightly_smiling_face: So much that I will never touch any of the app makers in the coalition again.
But indeed, these are healthy opinion differences - this is a subjective matter and there’s no absolute truth to be had.

1 Like

I find it hard to even remotely defend this guy now.

1 Like

This is where he starts losing the PR fight. All in all, I don’t believe this will go much further. Going totally out on a limb here: he might end up fired by the board of directors, the coalition will fade into nothingness and dust will be swept under rugs.

1 Like

I’m thinking the exact same thing. Hes a complete lunatic, and hes in no position to run an extremely large company like Epic Games.

What about the other companies in the coalition though? :thinking:

They’re full of wind. And none is crazy enough (nor has the weight) to pull a stunt like Epic did. They cannot in good faith argue for fairness since by definition they’re now « multi million dollar companies » and can’t take the defense of small developers as PR shield. They will keep whining, for sure, but if they have a shred of common sense, they will quietly leave this sinking ship.

Yes, Spotify and Protonmail need to jump off the sinking ship.

1 Like

GeForce NOW will allow you to play a touch-friendly version of Fortnite on iOS through Safari.

I believe @cornchip was being facetious here.

Oh, my bad. :see_no_evil:

Bingo.

(Big corporation) “Apple is so horrible! Think of those poor developers, sweating away in their garages, trying to eke out a living from this oppressive Apple app store!”
(Apple) “Okay. (Gives the poor developers, sweating away in their garages, a 15% discount).”
(Big corporation) “DISCRIMINATION! Where’s our 15% discount?”
(Apple) “We’re thinking of the poor developers, sweating away in their garages, like you asked.”
(Big corporation) “That’s not the point.”

:slight_smile:

I don’t believe there’s any real altruism on Apple’s part here, and I don’t believe that there’s really any true altruism on the part of Epic, Spotify, etc. That all said though, I think Apple’s decision was a very brilliant tactical move. And the fact that it most benefits the people that (arguably) most need it is a nice touch.

2 Likes

Haha! Spot on! :confetti_ball:

and became the scapegoat (or the sacrificial victim? :thinking:) , since I don’t believe he wasn’t backed by his BOD…

1 Like

Yeah, he definitely isn’t being backed up.

1 Like

I cannot even… :man_facepalming: