AppleTV Plus Free Trial

I was offered a free trial to Apple TV+ for 3 months for buying an iPhone 15 Pro. But when I clicked the button in the email, Apple instead charged me $6.99 per month. This is because I had a previous free trial with this Apple ID. So I wasn’t eligible. Now that I read the fine print (really tiny gray font), it does mention this, but I wasn’t paying that close attention.

If they can figure out I’m not eligible when I click the button in the email, why can’t they just not send the email? Also, WTF Apple? I just spent $1300 to buy your newest iPhone, maybe a 3 month trial to one of your services might be a nice perk even if I have tried it before? Maybe this time I’ll decide to renew after the trial. Now I’m pissed off that you’re sending out these scammy emails to get me to sign up for a “free trial” I’m not eligible for.

2 Likes

I got a three month trial with Apple TV when I bought my Mac Mini a few months ago.I’d previously had a free trial with them before from purchasing a phone or an iPad.

I was surprised I got the three months. But it did allow me to.

Regardless, I agree. If I’m not eligible, don’t send me targeted emails.

3 Likes

But what if you bought a new device every 3 months to keep getting free trials in order to deprive Apple of their $6.99 TV+ fee? :wink:

(Yes, I’m kidding - but that’s the sort of crazy thinking that happens in companies sometimes)

1 Like

I probably would be too. But Apple is running out of new markets for the iPhone and is shifting to services, so I expect their marketing department will keep up the pressure on existing customers to spend more.

Sadly proving that we need to treat email from Apple the same as any other unsolicited message that we receive.

1 Like

I don’t mind Apple asking if I’d like to sign up for a service. But they shouldn’t be advertising free trials if somebody doesn’t actually get a free trial. They have the resources to know that.

2 Likes

Exactly, I have a higher trust in Apple than other companies. But it is stupid petty decisions like this that chip away at my trust.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m sure Tim Cook wished everything at Apple worked perfectly. But in the words of the philosopher Jagger, “You can’t always get what you want”. :grinning:

1 Like

I absolutely get it, but this seems like such low-hanging fruit. And should know about that, as they’re a fruit company, after all. :smiley:

4 Likes

I recall some purchase a few years ago coming with a similar free trial. It didn’t work. I didn’t care enough about it to pursue it. I kept getting the reminder and tried again and it worked. I don’t think it had a restriction on no previous free trials.

I’ve had at least 2 free trials of Apple News and I think 2 or more of Apple Music. But didn’t we all get an extended free trial of Music and/or News at some point?

I’ll never subscribe to Apple News as long as it remains riddled with large glaring advertisements. And if Ted Lasso has ended its run on Apple TV I guess I’m done with ATV for the foreseeable future. I have no need for any free trials.