AppStore updates fails to install

Lately, my AppStore updates are failing to install. I get the badge notification on the AppStore icon, and the option to install the most recent versions (Today it was GoodNotes and MindNote, earlier Ulysses had the same issue.)

I see the progress meter fully download the app, but then gets a message saying “Unable to download app. GoodNotes could not be installed, please try again later.” Trying again later generally gives the exact same result, even though Ulysses finally succeeded somehow. None of the apps are running either.

This is a 2017 iMac 27 running BigSur 11.0.1. Anyone know what’s up with this?

Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 12.56.44

Thanks!

2 Likes

Do you use a VPN? I’ve noticed that a bunch of Apple services (including the App Store) work inconsistently when I have mine on.

2 Likes

Having the same problem here. (“Unable to Download App”) So far, the second, sometimes third, attempt succeed. I.e., no complete failures yet.

Not using a VPN and have plenty of bandwidth.

2 Likes

I had this same issue today. I logged out of the App Store, rebooted and logged back in. Seemed to work

2 Likes

I was having the same problem a few days ago on Mojave. I was able to successfully update apps today.

1 Like

Yesterday was “wonky App Store updates” day.

1 Like

I think I had this problem a while back. I think it was a cache issue.

1 Like

I get this on a regular basis for Mac, iPhone, and iPad. I usually just logout and login again. It takes a few tries, but usually works after that. The big culprits for me are usually GoodNotes and Dropbox that cause this to happen. Not sure why…

1 Like

Thanks all, will try the log out - reboot - login route.

I am not on a VPN and have a 250/250 Mbit connection, more than fast enough.

Probably an Apple thing then.

Bah…

50% success at least. MindNode now installed correctly. GoodNotes still giving me the same error. No biggie, mostly annoying that a core feature of the AppStore simply refuses to work consistently.

Oh well…

1 Like

We have had a lot of customer write in with this issue. Restarting the App Store app and retrying the update (sometimes a few times), seems to help resolve the issue.

2 Likes

Thank you for confirming the issue from a seller (developer) perspective.

I discovered the issue trying to update GoodNotes. Logging out , rebooting etc worked for me

2 Likes

I’ve had this occasionally including once recently. Given no urgency, the simplest solution is usually to just wait. Eventually it will work.

Unless it’s GarageBand on Catalina. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes