April & May 2021 Sales and Hardware/Software Deals

For people who live close to Micro Center
Apple MacBook Air MGN63LL/A M1 Late 2020 13.3" Laptop Computer - Space GrayApple M1 Chip; 8GB Unified RAM; 256GB Solid State Drive; 7-core GPU
$849.99, claimed $150 savings

Pixelmator Pro on sale for $19.99, future update will apparently have a machine learning crop and this is how they describe that

What does ML Crop do? It analyzes the composition of photos using a machine learning algorithm and gives you a suggestion for how you could crop the photo to make it more eye-catching.

1 Like

Kindle Oasis 9th Gen, 32GB for $169 at woot.com

Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport
Kindle edition for $1.99

Humble Bundle has these books on Python Programming. I am interested in Automating Boring Stuff with Python. But I am not familiar with Python at all. Any experience on whether these books are easy for beginners?

I was working on learning Python as a Pandemic Project, and found that Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming was one of the most-frequently-recommended books for beginners.

I found it a good intro.

I can’t speak for the others, but I have heard that Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners is a good book to read after the Crash Course. That being said, it claims to be “For Total Beginners” and if you have them both, you could certainly start there and see how it goes.

It seems that you can find most of these books on Amazon, which means you can read the reviews there as well. I think the Crash Course book alone is $24 on Amazon, so the bundle is a great price… plus they are DRM free, unlike the Kindle versions.

Personally, I’m going to grab this bundle ASAP and save it for when I have time to resume working on it.

Thanks. I am interested in learning programming for automation, so that is one motivation. This bundle seems to be an overkill for just these two books but it is still cheaper than buying them individually. Thanks for confirming!

If it suits your style of learning, Automate the Boring Stuff can be read for free online (legally)

https://automatetheboringstuff.com/

2 Likes

Thanks for the awesome link. What I saw from the website is that they listed the same course in Udemy and the company I work for has signed up Udemy for all the employees. So, I get to learn this Automate stuff from Udemy! This worked up very well for me. Much appreciated !

2 Likes

20% discount code for Bartender 4 app this week on MacStories

3 Likes

Izotope has a bundle on sale.

The Community Appreciation Bundle

Consists of 11 plugins:

Ozone Elements
RX Elements
Nectar Elements
Neutron Elements
Stutter Edit 2
Trash 2
BreakTweaker Expanded
Iris 2
Phoenix Verb
R2
Excalibur

Anyone have any comments on the value of any of these plugins? Seems solid for $49

2 Likes

iZotope does great stuff. I use RX (full version) intensively on the podcasts I produce and they have saved many crappy recordings produced by crappy mics and crappy rooms. Trash is also very fun to play with. All in all, it’s a great pack with awesome value for that price.
Be aware, though, that their stuff is still not M1-compatible yet, even through Rosetta. (I have to keep my Intel laptop around just for that.)

3 Likes

1 year of Setapp is on sale for $69. License is for 1 year and 1 device.

1 Like

Setapp special is only for new customers. FYI.

I may just give it a whirl

What’s the regular price?

$9.99/month or $8.99 per month if you pay annually.

about $8.99 ($106.56) a month for annual.

Funny that there’s a survey on Setapp pricing right now when I checked and asking if we are happy with what we are currently paying. They’re most like thinking of raising their current offering.

play.js, the excellent React and Node.js (Javascript) IDE iOS app, is now free for all users.

1 Like

Here’s an even cheaper deal for setapp

1 Like