Aqara Hub M2 or Aqara M1S Smart Hub

I’m confused. I’d like to use Aquara water sensors in my home, but not sure if I need the Aqara Hub M2 ($60) or the Aqara M1S Smart Hub, Wireless Smart Home Bridge for Alarm System ($50). It sounds like the M2 might be for people who want to use an ethernet plugin, while the M1S uses a wifi connection.

Does anyone know if that’s the difference? If they both work the same to connect AppleHomekit, I’d rather have the wireless version.

You can use either one. The big difference between the two is the light on the M1S and the M2 has ethernet. Both can seen by HomeKit and show up in the Apple Home app (or any third party app that can access HomeKit data).

All of the Aqara sensors (water leak, motion, door, temperature, etc.) use Zigbee. Once you have setup the hub you will add the water sensor to it and that will then also show up in HomeKit.

For more information about HomeKit in general have a look at Shane Whatley’s channel on YouTube. He has done a specific video about the different Aqara hubs, as well as many other things related to Apple Home and HomeKit.

He has also done a video reviewing and showing the setup process of the Aqara water sensor.

1 Like

I use the Aqara E1 hub because I just wanted the basic connection point. It is super solid and have had zero issues with the 7 water sensors spread around my home. Oh, I did turn the repeater option off to reduce signal confusion with my routers.

https://www.aqara.com/en/product/hub-e1

Thanks for the great information! Now I have to decide which hub I want … :grinning:

Jim

Thanks for the very helpful response. I have some decisions to make.

Jim

1 Like

I’d have a look at whether the E1 will have Matter compatibility once that standard arrives. The M2 should.

1 Like