Are Space Grey's days on the Mac numbered?

After years of tying to colour match my Mac(s) and all accessories to Space Grey, I ended up going silver for my 16" MaxBook.

First, they released the M1 Mac Mini in only silver; then, the iMac in colors. They discontinued the Space Grey keyboard/mouse/trackpad; then they released the Mac Studio in only silver, alongside the Studio Display (silver only).

The Mac Pro was only ever silver. The rumours for the new (replacement for the) Macbook Air are that it will be in colours.

The MacBook Pro will likely be the only Mac that comes in Space Grey when this is all said and done.

For people who like to colour match things, it seems like silver is the only way forward. Do you think they’ll keep doing Space Grey? Do you expect to see it on more products?

I have no idea but I like Space Grey. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I hope not. Time for more color.

1 Like

I have no objection to colour, but Space Grey is by far my favourite colour for Mac notebooks, especially on the new MBPs. I hope they keep it around (on the Pro lines at least) and offer more colour options too.

2 Likes

I hate space grey – although I hate matte black stuff even more – so I won’t be sorry when it’s gone.

Also, this old article shows that Apple has really called a number of colors space grey, so color-matchers beware.

1 Like

If I had to guess I’d say silver will always be available. And since some retailers have reported that space gray is their most purchased laptop color I would expect it to be available for the foreseeable future. Most businesses don’t consider fashion when it comes to their tools. They will continue to need a color or two that can fit in anywhere.

I had 60 iMacs visible in one room when you entered our building. If they looked like a bag of Skittles it’s very possible I would have had to paint them. Or replace them.

1 Like

Eh, I think “Space Grey” as a color name option probably isn’t long for this world, but they will always have something in the vein of a dark grey to black. A lot of studio pros would absolutely riot if their machines were only available in silver or more colorful hues, instead of a darker neutral grey.

I fully expect the Mac color options to change, much like the fashionable iPhones, to something along the lines of “Starlight” or “Midnight” or “Graphite.”

for what it’s worth, the university I work at has bought blue iMacs, which kinda match the college official blue.
(one of its affiliated institutions, maybe to make a point, stuck with silver).

1 Like

You know, I fear you’re right but personally I really feel that these people have had way too much say over Apple’s doings in the last few years. Thicker laptops (and tablets, and phones), vintage ports coming back, promising, if undercooked, technologies being removed… This is a rant for another day, but I miss Apple’s design-first era already. The problem for me is that no-one is even close to offering a competitive alternative, or at least not yet.

1 Like

And I wouldn’t be surprised if orange iMacs were selling like hotcakes in East Tennessee. :grinning:

1 Like

Our local Y replaced its front desk iMacs with silver M1 iMacs. I was a little surprised since they have at least two major colors in the lobby that match the iMac colors and the culture is generally pretty fun/colorful.

I don’t see the general gray range going away either, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we get some tinged with pro-iPhone-type colors eventually. Kind of like how “midnight” leans blue (I think…)

I’ve grown to hate space grey on Macs over the years. Everything now needs to be silver for me because it makes my studio feel a little less dark. (I say this, but I’ve got middle grey walls, but that colour has actual texture, unlike space grey.)

The problem with space grey is honestly just that it’s not dark enough. It looks like a compromise colour. I’d rather have real black if they’re going to keep it. Remember the jet black iPhone 7? That’s what I want for the space grey.

3 Likes

Now that you mention it, you may be right. Black would look great but space gray doesn’t show fingerprints.

1 Like

True for laptops, but fingerprints would be less of an issue for desktops. I want a Darth Vader iMac.

2 Likes

I’ve seen advertisements for iMac skins. There may be hope for you. :+1:t3:

Which one?

Which one?

…sorry… couldn’t resist. :laughing:

2 Likes

278002742_7917885818237039_1238595806106576069_n.jpg