Are the forums acting weird for anybody else?

FWIW, sight-unseen, I’ve seen this sort of thing before (and recently) when a bad actor attempts to do a vulnerability scan via a distributed network.

I’ve seen (for example) WordPress sites hammered into oblivion by multiple IP addresses doing coordinated “scans” where they do brute-force checks for external files.

So if there’s a known WordPress plugin called “insecurePlugin”, with a “insecureFile.php” file, they’ll just try to load:

/wp-content/plugins/insecurePlugin/insecureFile.php

Which kicks out a 404 error. But since modern websites almost never actually return 404 errors - they return user-friendly, helpful web pages that still have all the performance hits of a regular page view - the rapidity of the access is the equivalent of hundreds or even thousands of legitimate users trying to load the page simultaneously.

And it doesn’t matter if the website is even running WordPress - they’ll do the scan anyway because the scan is a “dumb” scan of a fixed list of vulnerabilities. I’ve seen WordPress sites checked for Drupal hacks. It’s just a huge list, and the hackers run down it rapid-fire until the server chokes.

It’s enough to severely tax the web server and the database backend, which overloads budget hardware or VPSs. And if it’s shared hosting, it’s the same problem - except the shared hosting typically won’t let the server itself be overloaded. It’ll just throttle the individual site.

Incidentally, this is one of the many “social” reasons to secure your hardware. Getting hacked and becoming part of a botnet that does nasty crap like this is sucks for sites - and it sucks more for sites from smaller, niche content providers (like the MPU forums).

Whatever is going on in this case, I hope they’re able to address it with their provider. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why does it only happen on the weekends though? :thinking:

I would think that the hackers have day jobs and only have weekends off to do this sort of stuff.

Why would they specifically target this forum though?

I can only speak for as to why I do… Er, I mean it will probably forever remain a mystery.

1 Like

Perhaps I should have put some emoji’s at the end, so y’all would know that this was said in jest.

1 Like

Oh, so that wasn’t an answer to my question… :sweat_smile:

Wouldn’t they have time before/after work during the weekdays to be doing this stuff? Maybe during a break?

If it’s the sort of thing I’m talking about, it would just be random. I see websites with super-tiny amounts of traffic that get hit with this stuff. The fact that a website exists is all that’s necessary.

This is probably under the premise gaining a compromised server is useful, regardless of how big the website is. :slight_smile:

If it were somebody who wanted to take this specific forum down for some reason the other option is a DoS attack of some sort. But I would think those wouldn’t be letting up.

My best estimate is that traffic here gets heavy on weekends.

But it always happens on the weekends (and never during a weekday). That cannot be a coincidence.

That’s exactly what I am thinking! The way you said it is the way I meant to say it.

But why wouldn’t the traffic also get heavy during the afternoon on weekdays once the workday ends?

i see the outage frequently (but cannot quote says) starting 6 am GMT until say 7 or 8. when i see it i usually do not go back until many hours later if at all.

Just noting that terms like “afternoon” aren’t really relevant in the context of an international community.

I seem to recall seeing it on weekdays too….but I’m not tracking it closely. :slight_smile:

I suspect though that it’s not legitimate traffic.

1 Like

Yeah, good point… :thinking:

I still believe that it isn’t being caused by heavy (legitimate) traffic. This is almost certainly the fault of the hosting provider or some sort of strange DDoS attack.

Or incorrectly configured software components. Without knowing anything about the system it’s a bit short-sighted to say it’s either the fault of the hosting provider or a DDoS attack. There are many more legitimate options for software failures.

This is so naive that it’s almost funny.

3 Likes

It likely does but most everyone is off on the weekends would be my best guess.

How low is the bar set for your sense of humor?

That’s actually a really good point. For MPU, I seem to recall that they’d enlisted the help of some pretty knowledgeable people to get it set up - so I was assuming “well-configured server with unexpected traffic of some sort”. But there are definitely other possibilities, including something as simple as traffic just barely nudging past a threshold where the Digital Ocean droplet starts swapping and winds up thrashing. Or an improperly-indexed database table that’s suddenly being queried more than would otherwise be expected. :slight_smile:

And all of these problems absolutely suck to try and troubleshoot. Much thanks to whoever is looking into it and getting the forum back up periodically. :slight_smile:

1 Like