Are the iphone minis really gone?

I’m getting close to having to update my iPhone 11 but I wanted to buy a new iphone mini, specially because I have deleted every king of social media app, even youtube, I don’t feel a need to buy a normal sized phone. I want something small, portable and fast and I also love the design of the iphone mini. However, I think the new iPhone 15 isn’t going to have a mini option and I’m afraid apple ditched that size. If that’s true my only hope would be to get an iPhone 13 :frowning:

1 Like

Looks like the SE is still available…

1 Like

I would not be shocked if the eventual SE refresh is just the mini design. That being said, the iPhone 13 mini uses the same processor as the current iPhones so I think it has a good long life ahead of it. It sounds like you’re going for a digital minimalistic device, and a phone that’s a few years old should hold up just fine for that purpose!

1 Like

I’m still convinced the next SE will be a mini refresh. Perhaps mid or late 2024.

I am not sure Mini is the way to go. I am typing this on an iPhone 12 Mini.

They are gorgeous devices. But mini phone means mini battery. This becomes more important when the battery degrades and OS updates come into play.

I would suggest a normal sized phone. That said, I plan to update to a iPhone 15 Pro Max because I am stunning my iPad as well. Figured I only need one mobile computer (not counting a work issued Windows laptop). YMMV :wink:

2 Likes

Could see this as well. If they skim on other tech in favour of battery, it might be a great device.

1 Like

I’ve heard that the 13 mini had better battery, but yeah the 12 mini was rough. I ended up upgrading to a 14 Pro from one in February because I couldn’t take the mini’s battery life anymore.

1 Like

I got the 13 and still staying with it. No battery problems yet, I bought it when it first came out. Really like this size and worry the same on future versions but OK for now.

2 Likes

I think that’s the one I’ll get :slight_smile:

Most of my screen time came from YouTube and social media, now that I deleted those app I think it will hold well.

I have an iPhone 11 and have no interest in anything larger. If the iPhone 15’s USB-C is faster than lightning’s 480Mbps I’ll probably upgrade. If not, I won’t.

1 Like

My other half has a 13 mini and she’s delighted with it. A bit bigger than the SE it replaced but she’s comfortable with the extra size.

Battery life is very good - she doesn’t do YouTube etc - WhatsApp, photos, mail and web browsing

I have a lil SE 2nd generation and I just love it. It fits in the side pocket of my small purse. Very lightweight. It still works great.

Than I bought a iPhone 14 pro max for the telephoto lens primarily.

1 Like

I have a 13 mini and its battery has been and continues to be fine for me. Two of my grandsons have the 13 mini and they are both happy with them.

3 Likes

I have a13 Mini and we recently bought my wife an ‘as-new’ 12 Mini for a good price through Amazon.
We’re both really happy with our phones and battery has been fine.

I expect we’ll both need battery replacements once in the phones’ lives, like usual.
Although my wife will probably just plug hers in more often rather than spend more money.

I love my iPhone 13 Mini and am definitely hoping for another Mini in another year or three. I’ll be holding onto it for absolutely as long as I can.

1 Like

I’ve been happy with my 12 Mini. Not sure what I’ll do when it’s time to upgrade/replace it. I guess at worst I’ll get an SE.

1 Like

I’m so glad this thread exists, and at such a timely moment for me! Thank you for sharing all your thoughts.

My sister has to change phone and was asking me whether she should get a mini or an SE. She will keep her phone probably for the next 10 years if she gets her way, so I have to think long-term when I make a recommendation.

Weirdly, the reason she has to change phone is the same problem @ryanjamurphy had, and I just don’t understand what happened (same as Ryan really since that was a mystery too!). She went to the beach a few weeks ago and the phone was probably in the sun a bit but wasn’t put in the sea or sand, yet the touch screen stopped working consistently and/or the software seems to “freeze”. (It’s hard to tell if the touch screen actually isn’t accepting input, or if the software is freezing.) For example, part of the keyboard might stop working mid-writing, but the upper part of the screen still responds to taps. It corrects itself after 20 mins or so, but has basically made her phone useless (she mostly only uses it for texting and photos).

It’s hard to avoid having the same problem again in future, because I don’t know what’s triggered it (and telling her not to text when she’s at the beach is a non-starter!).

2 Likes

Yes, this forum is amazing for this. Now I’m convinced to save some money and get an iPhone mini 13. My sister’s boyfriend has one and I couldn’t be more jealous.