Are we over-criticizing the 720p webcam?

Incidentally, you’re picturing what appears to be a 6-year-old Surface. The Surface that @Rob_Polding is talking about is much more current, and is about 40% thinner.

Still thicker than the MBA/MBP lid, but much, much closer.

Oh well. That is just how Apple works now. There is not much we can do about it. :man_shrugging:

You’re not an engineer.

A camera bump on a laptop is flat out a terrible idea in regards to the amount of negative publicity Apple would receive. Not a good PR idea…

Still thicker… :upside_down_face:

Apple is like Gucci but for electronics.

To borrow your favorite question, how can you be so sure?

Ask around the internet and see what people say.

I’ve literally identified the existing part that would accomplish the goal, with a 1mm-ish bump. And if you read the MacRumors thread or interacted in a way other than ad hominem argumentation and trolling, we could get somewhere. Everything you need is above though if you’re interested.

1 Like

This conversation is ridiculous lol.

You guys should message each other and ask “how do you know” back and forth once a day until 2021 and then drop it.

5 Likes

Yes, it really is becoming ridiculous.

Not to further fan the flames as to what Apple can/cannot/will/will not do, but I’ve just tried Zoom on my new Air in light that isn’t ideal but isn’t terrible either. The thing that is terrible is the camera.

Tomorrow I’ll get out my Intel Air, my wife’s Lenovo, and this computer to do a comparison, but I don’t need to do that in order to see that the image quality is really bad. I’ll reiterate that I don’t think it’s the resolution that’s the problem.

2 Likes

I just don’t know why anyone really cares, you can pick up a webcam cheaply if you want high quality; invest as much as you need depending on the quality you want.

I definitely wouldn’t want trade offs to be made (thicker screen, protrusion from the screen) to make it better.

1 Like

Did the neural engine not help the image quality whatsoever?

Yes, exactly!

I didn’t do a side by side comparison last night, so I couldn’t compare them directly, If I had to guess then I’d say that the extra processing didn’t help at all for the (not unreasonable, but not ideal) lighting situation I was in; it was simply bad, blurry and grainy in a way that I’d expect from considerably darker conditions. I’ll do a direct comparison this afternoon.

Okay then. :slight_smile:

Canon recently released a utility that lets you use your Canon camera as a webcam. Have not tried it with my Canon Canon cameras, but it seems like a good option for those without webcams or those (you boys know who you are :wink:) kvetching about the quality or construction of the built in cameras.

Nikon also released a utility and I’ve used my DSLR for several presentations.

I hate having to carry a webcam around with me at work, because I don’t want to look bad when doing video calls (I am constantly on the move to different locations where I have to set up to do remote classes). I’d much rather have a small bump than have to sit a webcam on my MacBook, and have the cables trailing around, to get a decent quality image.

You can (with extra software) use your iPhone as a webcam for your Mac (or PC for that matter). Then you just need a way to get the phone at the appropriate height - a small tripod for example. You’re swapping one extra piece of kit for another, but it’s easier than balancing a camera on the knife-edge of your Mac’s display (and probably not as fragile).

1 Like

What about the other group of people that would be infuriated with a camera bump on the MacBook?

I think we can all agree that Apple should do better in this regard, but this topic has gotten more heated than it needed to be. Let’s all move on. Thanks y’all.

1 Like

giphy

Yes, please lock the topic.