Arq Backup 6 released

After reading all this I think I will stay on 5 for awhile. I do have a lifetime license.

I emailed support and asked them what the import process is. The response:

If you install Arq 6 it will show you an Import button at the top. You can click to learn about the import options.

Not helpful.

Not at all. Besides, there wasnā€™t any feedback on the progress. Leaving the user completely in the dark on whatā€™s happening.

This afternoon I fiddled a bit more and managed to block the application. Couldnā€™t add or change anything. The only solution I found was to uninstall and re-install Arq. After that I could continue.

After changing some settings the whole UI turned into a complete mess. Text was all over the place. Wondering what the developer was thinking when he released this version. Also wondering why he didnā€™t decide to remove this version from his website. He got flooded by support mail (his words). Which may be a sign something might be a tiny bit wrongā€¦

I see there have been daily updates for the past couple of days. Has anyone been brave enough to try the latest version? https://www.arqbackup.com/download/arqbackup/arq6_release_notes.html

1 Like

The Arq subreddit is melting down, so Iā€™m going to hold off for a while.

OMG! This looks so bad! Several updates per day. How extremely unprofessional. Especially if you consider this is a $50 application.

What the heck was the developer thinking when he released this new version? I can only think heā€™s in total panic right now.

No, I didnā€™t try the upgrades. Mainly because I didnā€™t know about them. With version 6 it also seems the auto-update functionality vanished. Just checked to be sure, and itā€™s indeed no longer there. Talking about an upgradeā€¦

The problem is that I really like Arqā€™s functionality. Arq up to version 5 that is.

To me it seems the best thing the developer can do right now is roll back to version 5. Just refund all the version 6 customers and come up with something better than this.

However, that scenario might also mean heā€™ll be out of business very soon.

2 Likes

Itā€™s sad. Arq for me has been a rock-solid reliable app with excellent, responsive support for years. I hope it hasnā€™t all suddenly fallen to pieces. As long as v5 keeps chugging along with my backups to B2, Iā€™ll just sit back and hope for the best.

3 Likes

When I checked this morning there was only a single (initial) release, for both macOS & Windowsā€¦

They still only list the initial release when I check the websiteā€¦

However, the hashes of the downloaded Windows MSI installer are indeed different.

No improvement though:

install

Iā€™ve been banging on v6 for a couple of days and havenā€™t had any major problems. In my case Iā€™m backing up my home directory and 2 external SSDs to B2. CPU Utilization of ArqHelper (GPU) & (Rendener) combined is running around 10% (i3)

It is definitely different from the previous versions, but Iā€™ve found all the settings I used in v5. My upload speed on Comcast is a blazing 2.5MB and Iā€™ve added about 25GB of files since the upgrade so that will take several more hours to complete. Once it is complete I plan to download another test restore then leave it alone for a few days.

At this point Iā€™m not worried about being able to backup & restore files, but it does have a few rough edges that needs attention.

1 Like

This surely doesnā€™t look goodā€¦
arq2

Anyone else having to retype encryption password all the time for the backup locations?

Yes. So far PW has been required for every edit I have made.

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming that. I am on my way back to Arq 5. Luckily, I had redundant backups and not all of them got converted.

Arq 6 looks like it was made in electron. Arq 5 looks like a native mac app. Is this correct?

The version number is already bumped to 6.1.3, but unfortunately none of my problems is solved yet.

(which means I still canā€™t make any backup since the release of Arq v6)

Anyone having better luck with the recent updates?

Where can I find logs? (If any?) And are these human readable? (asking for both macOS & Windows)

Yes; thatā€™s a correct observation.

2 Likes

I have been able to successfully backup to S3 using Arq 6.0.222 and 6.1.0. But only after starting completely from scratch. Converting or otherwise using my existing Arq 5 backups seemed impossible.

Iā€™m considering doing that on one machine, but I would like to know how many GB I would have to upload again, if I do.

Where can I check the size of a backup?

(Canā€™t find that in v6)

As strange as it may sound, Iā€™m a bit worried by the high frequency of the updates. It can only mean one thing: they are released without any (proper) testing. I understand the developer wants to fix major issues, but this release policy could be even more harmful than the initial Arq 6 release.