At long last, Apple recognizes right to repair

4 Likes

The question is, how much will these kits cost :rofl:

They say the cost will be the same as they charge independent repair shops currently - which is clearly a lot less than what Apple charges for repairs.

I am both shocked and pleased!

2 Likes

Which just has me remember the first Apple product I bought (a G5 iMac for my wife). That was the only iMac I ever bought that had a removable back cover and user serviceable parts beyond the memory sticks. Sadly it was still far more user serviceable than the new Apple Silicon iMacs will be, even with “right to repair”. You might have the right to repair but that doesn’t mean that a repair is possible other than just replacing the entire guts.

1 Like

That’s how I see it. I think the last MacBook that you could replace the SSD was made in 2015. iFixit gave the new MacBook Pro a repairability rating of 4 out of 10. Everything since 2015 scored either a 1 or 2 if memory serves. The only thing Apple makes that is harder to repair are AirPods.

Apple charges $129 for a late model MacBook battery replacement. You might get a 3rd party replacement battery for $90 not counting the special screwdrivers you will need. And I wouldn’t even think of opening the case for less than $100.

And yet as of today they still solder RAM and SSD’s and use glue to assemble devices.

It seems the right to repair is still not on their agenda!

Again - “right to repair” doesn’t mean “you can upgrade your computer”. And it doesn’t mean “you can fix it easily and cheaply”. It means that whatever components are currently inside can be purchased from the manufacturer, that the procedures for doing repair are learnable from the company, and that a competent third party can service a given item without violating the warranty.

Nothing about soldered RAM, soldered SSDs, or glued-down components has anything to do with “right to repair” in the context of either this article or any sane proposed legislation.

What you seem to want is “easily repairable” devices, and there are many, many good reasons that isn’t likely - most of those reasons actually benefitting the end user.

5 Likes