Audio Routing - Can't Figure This Out

Hi MPU,

I can’t figure out this audio routing issue. I am sure because I have been moving wires I might be missing something obvious, but I am in that tunnel vision and can’t see currently. Let me know if you spot something that I can’t see.

I have the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6

• XLR mic line 1 in the front
  • It is connected to the Mac Mini
  • Mac Mini connected via DisplayPort to an LG 27 inch monitor
  • Studio Monitors connected to Line Outputs 1 and 2

This above setup works and I hear audio perfectly fine.

The Part that Breaks.

• PlayStation 5 is connected to the same LG 27 inch monitor but via HDMI
  • The LG monitor has a built-in speaker, I can hear the audio from that built-in-speaker when connected to the input
  • There is a 3.5mm jack on the back of LG monitor, I can plug in headphones and I can get my PS5 audio
  • However, when I try to route the audio to the studio monitors, this is where it breaks. I try to use the 3.5mm headphone jack from the LG monitor into the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 Line Inputs 3-4. All I get is silence, I tried all controls and I can’t seem to get to work.

Focusrite Manual for reference

Suggestions?

Can you provide a diagram? Is the Focusrite preamp connected via usb to the Mac? Are the studio monitors your ultimate destination for the audio? It’s a bit confusing.

1 Like

1 Like

going to the effort of making this is hardcore.

:skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

I wish I could take the credit…this is the original that I found online and just made some edits

It looks to me like you run the risk of a feedback loop by outputting from the Mini to the LG Monitor then inputting from there to the Focusrite - maybe it’s smart enough to shut that down?

Otherwise why not bypass the LG Monitor with the audio from the PS 5 & run it straight to the Focusrite? What are your output options on the PS 5?

I agree, the diagram is awesome.

Ok…I went down the rabbit hole of PS5 audio out - I’d say go ahead and get an HDMI extractor for $25 or so.

1 Like

My guess is that your LG is not putting out enough juice for the focusrite line inputs. You can come out of the line out jack from the monitor, and put it through a DI box to go into the other mic input.

Finally got it to work…I had to do a custom mix…grab the proper inputs from the LG via the Focusrite Software and have it playback properly through the software control.

There is a huge drop in volume during this process. Probably not the smartest thing to use studio monitors for gaming, I just didn’t want another set of speakers just for this setup.