August 2019 Sales and Hardware/Software Deals

V For Wikipedia has just dropped 33% off from $5.99 to $3.99. One of the nicest iOS Wikipedia apps around with attractive reformatting. I switched to it when Wikiwand stopped working on my iPhone. Lets you view Wikipedia articles for nearby places, shows most-read articles around the world, has an image gallery browser built-in, and has an Apple Watch app as well.

(FYI another nice Wikipedia app, which offers a mindmap view of entries, is the $4.99 Wikiweb [not on sale].)

2 Likes

Bought… I love to support app that made article legible and their focus on typography is what tide me over!

1 Like

Timeshutter, an iOS selfie app that creates timelapse videos, temporarily went free:

1 Like

eBay’s PayPal Gifts store once again has iTunes gift cards on sale: a $50 card for $42.50, or 15% off.

1 Like

For the first-ever WireCutter.com Deal Day, 1Password is offering 50% off a 1-year subscription, or $18, using coupon-code WIRECUT19. They’re also offering the Family plan for $30

https://1password.com/promo/wirecutter/?cjevent=2f226275c38011e9817600cc0a24060f

1 Like

Goodreader on iOS has dropped to 0.99

GoodReader PDF Editor & Viewer by Good.iWare, Inc. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/goodreader-pdf-editor-viewer/id777310222

1 Like

Great app, good deal. They seem to be making up on up the Pro Pack upgrade, which was $5.99 at the beginning of the year, $7.99 now.

Didn’t know anything about the pro pack

They also sell GoodReader Pro, which is GoodReader with the Pro Pack unlocked in it. When the price of GoodReader dropped from $5.99 to $0.99, they also dropped the price of GoodReader Pro from $11.99 to $8.99… making the apps equivalent in price if you buy the IAP unlock. Obviously if you want to try out the app the basic GoodReader is the app to get, with the biggest price drop.

Luna Display

Buy Luna display 25% off
I hear such wonderful things about Luna. Who has experience & is it something you’d recommend? I often watch tutorials on my iPad Pro 10.5 while coding on my MBP. I stopped using Duet a long time ago (can’t remember why, except that it got wonky on me!). I don’t use a external monitor any longer because my beloved MBP gets too hot and fan runs high. So it’s back to MBP&iPad. Thanks in advance!

With iOS 13 and macOS Catalina, there’s a feature call Sidecar that does this. Wait for it maybe?

Yes, I have heard of it. Forgot until you mentioned it.
Unfortunately the beloved MBP is too old for Catalina.

But I will heed your advice to see what Astro folks will do when sidecar emerges. Thanks for your response too!

Looks like flexibits dropped prices
Cardhop dropped to 2.99

Fantastical iphone to 2.99

Fantastical ipad to 5.99

1 Like

Nice catch. And I Cardhop for Mac just dropped from $19.99 to $14.99. I’d already owned the iOS app, and now I just bought the Mac app!

2 Likes

I love cardhop. I’ve been looking for a contacts manager and this one has been the best so far

What do y’all think of this?

At Best Buy for $1150

Apple - MacBook Air - 13.3" Retina Display - Intel Core i5 - 16GB Memory - 512GB Flash Storage - Space Gray

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-macbook-air-13-3-retina-display-intel-core-i5-16gb-memory-512gb-flash-storage-space-gray/6363048.p?skuId=6363048

That’s a good price for the Air released last October (assuming that’s the same model). Apple is selling refurb models for $200 more, and new models for $1550 (not $1800 as BestBuy asserts - maybe that was the price before the SSD price drop last month).

D23.com (the official Disney Fan Club, free to join) is offering a 36-month prepaid subscription to the upcoming Disney+ streaming service for $140.97, or $3.92/month.

Apparently the site is getting slammed right now…

1 Like

Snowman just dropped the price on both Alto’s Adventure and Alto’s Odyssey. If you haven’t played either, you definitely should (Odyssey is better than Adventure IMHO). Highly recommend both.

The video player Elmedia Player 7 Pro (‘Pro’ means free upgrades for life) is available through StackSocial for $14.99. List price is $19.99 for the app and $9.99 for ‘Pro’ - I paid $19.92 for this Pro deal last November). This is the app I use for viewing all MKV videos I download from various places.

The app is like a beefed-up VLC, and plays just about any video format you can throw at it (AVI, FLV, SWF, MP4, WMV, MOV, MP3, DAT, FLAC, M4V, MPG, DivX and MKV), and you can cast to Apple TV or ChromeCast with it, as well as stream YouTube/Vimeo/DailyMotion videos without seeing ads (something I’ve never tried out). I personally like it for the ability to tweak video (eg sharpness, gamma, saturation, playback speed) and audio (with built-in iTunes-like audio equalizer). It also allows you to download YouTube videos as well as just saving the audio from videos (never used that, as I have other dedicated apps for that). A nice Swiss-Army video app. There might be others that do the same things, but I’ve been pretty happy with it since I purchased it nine months ago.

It’s also a free download to try out before purchase.

1 Like