Authorized service provider vs. mail to apple

I bought a 15 inch MacBook Pro 2018 6 weeks ago. Yesterday the left, front port went out. It does not recognize anything plugged in to it, even the charger. I called apple and they set me up an appointment with an authorized service provider. Is there any main difference/reason to use the ASP vs. requesting to send it in to apple?

I replaced a 2010 MacBook Pro (which ironically never had an issue where I needed to get it repaired by apple) with this device and use it every day. I want to try to be away from it for the least amount of time.

0 Likes

I’ve had good luck with a couple of repairs to my 2012 MacBook Pro at an Apple Authorized Service Provider (replacement logic board and battery).

0 Likes

As far as I understand, they end up sending it to Apple if they can’t repair it.

1 Like

I think most Apple repairs are outsourced, even if you “send it to Apple.”

0 Likes

I was using an authorized service provider in Nashville for several years before Apple opened their first store.

And I continued to use them for both my personal & company computers because of their excellent service.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, I can’t recommend Simply Mac. The one near me sells returned merchandise as new. I’ve also overheard interactions with customers that weren’t great.

0 Likes

Sorry to hear that. The company I referred to in my post was MacAuthority and I had been a customer of theirs since 2003 before they were purchased by Simply Mac a few years ago. This particular SM gave me good service the two or three times I used them after the acquisition.

0 Likes

Thanks for the input! I went ahead a took it to the local service provider.

0 Likes

Let us know what happened.

Out of curiosity, before Apple made the service appointment did they have you perform an Apple Hardware Test, or did they do one remotely?

0 Likes

For completeness: recall that Apple doesn’t manufacture most of its own products, Foxconn does.

0 Likes

Results: I got the computer back yesterday. They replaced the I/O board only.

They did not do a hardware test remotely or have me do one before making the appointment.

1 Like

I find that a little strange. A simple AHT should have been suggested - at the least to potentially save Apple some money before having to deal with reimbursing an ASP.

If you’d asked here first, I’d have recommended resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM, which sometimes fixes these issues.

0 Likes