"Background Items Added" Notifications

Dear internet,

Every time I log in to my newly-updated-to-macOS-Ventura laptop, I am faced with this:

Please tell me there is a way to make it stop! Currently the only recourse I have is to individually close each notification, so even if I can’t make it stop…maybe there’s a way I can streamline the process of closing the 738,000 notifications?!

Same issue when I leave computer in sleep mode for a little while and come back, though not quite in the same volume.

Please send help before I throw my computer out the window!

Love,
Kaitlin

Have you took a look into the setting of the Login Items, to figure out what is actually installed there?

Not a fix but at least this page shows that you’re not alone. (See especially the comments for suggestion to try and disable extensions.) Looks like something Apple will have to address.

do you know whether they are the same login item repeated many times or different? Can you go into settings and find out how many items there?

This is what I have on my MBP

Just as a follow-up to this in case anyone stumbles across it trying to solve their own issue: I happened to notice that when Keyboard Maestro was closed the notifications seemed to be absent.

I’m still not sure what exactly was causing the issue, but re-installing KM seems to have significantly improved things. (I’m still getting one or two of these notifications occasionally, but nothing like the volume I was before!)

Nope. Never mind. I spoke too soon - it’s back in full force. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Here is a post explaining how to dismiss notifications en masse.

Have you confirmed that the issue is tied to Keyboard Maestro?

I only see that notification when I install a new application.

That is useful to know - except it clears all the notifications except these. Frustrating!

I haven’t; just a suspicion. I should close it for a while, probably, and test for an extended period; but my computer doesn’t feel like my own without KM and I’ve not had much chance to play around. :joy:

Hi not sure if this is still an issue for you.

I think I may of got rid of the issue.

I was having it with Google chrome even after I deleted the app.

Here is how I did it.

1. Open finder
  2. Navigate to your user folder on left
  3. Click on eclipse’s
    4.Click show view options
  4. Tick Show Library folder
    6.open library folder
  5. Find and open LaunchAgents folder
  6. Find file relating to software and delete. My was google chrome updater and the file

“com.google.keystone.xpcservice.plist“

Was in this folder so I deleted it. This stoped it for me. Hope this helps

Glad that worked for you!

Unfortunately this issue (at least based on the notification) isn’t tied to a particular app - it’s from “System Events”…so there’s nothing in there that looks like it might do the trick.

At some point I’m thinking I’m going to need to try doing a clean install, but right now I just don’t have the spare time…!

Maybe macOS Ventura Bug Spits Out Perpetual 'Background Items Added' Notifications at Login, Here's a Potential Fix - MacRumors

Another possible resource, this one from Howard Oakley, especially the info about btmdump.