Bailing Twitter

If you silence dissent, how would you know a lie if you saw one?

Here is the US FDA telling everyone Ivermectin is horse medicine. Every news network, every government body, drilled this into people.

https://twitter.com/US_FDA/status/1429050070243192839

Except, here is the WHO’s list of most essential medicines in the world. Open any edition pre or post-pandemic. Ivermectin has for decades been not only human medicine, but one of the most essential on the planet, up there with penicillin and aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid).

https://www.who.int/groups/expert-committee-on-selection-and-use-of-essential-medicines/essential-medicines-lists

These are the same regimes telling you “democracy” is over without them.

Edit: I’d like to point out preemptively that I don’t wish to give anyone advice on how to treat your ailments. I am just pointing out this quote from Men in Black.

“Fifteen hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat. And fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you’ll know tomorrow.”

One minute ago, you knew Ivermectin was tantamount to bleach, and that the people who so helpfully told you that, were the last bastion of democracy.

3 Likes

I am on Mastodon, pkm.social as fuzzygel, also on mastodon.social (I think)

there is an interesting app site https://fedifinder.glitch.me/ that search for your fellow twitter users that migrated to Mastondon.

By the way, I am using Metatext iPad os app on Mac. Very nice app

2 Likes

Perhaps you’re overstating things a bit …

From the FDA link:

" Here’s What You Need to Know about Ivermectin

• The FDA has not authorized or approved ivermectin for use in preventing or treating COVID-19 in humans or animals. Ivermectin is approved for human use to treat infections caused by some parasitic worms and head lice and skin conditions like rosacea.
  • Currently available data do not show ivermectin is effective against COVID-19. Clinical trials assessing ivermectin tablets for the prevention or treatment of COVID-19 in people are ongoing.
  • Taking large doses of ivermectin is dangerous.
  • If your health care provider writes you an ivermectin prescription, fill it through a legitimate source such as a pharmacy, and take it exactly as prescribed.
  • Never use medications intended for animals on yourself or other people. Animal ivermectin products are very different from those approved for humans. Use of animal ivermectin for the prevention or treatment of COVID-19 in humans is dangerous."

Seems pretty clear what the FDA was saying. Spoiler alert, it wasn’t that Ivermectin wasn’t useful for humans.

Except, form the link you put in your post, they didn’t say that at all.

8 Likes

I would suggest removing your content after exporting, and making your account private. Be sure you use a unique strong password, but do not delete the account. Don’t make it easy for someone to impersonate you. Own your namespace.

3 Likes

Here is a hint - from a financial newsletter though I do not recall the exact source. Some of his fellow investors are trying to sell off Twitter debt as a discount.

Twitter $6.5B Term Loan Offered at 60 OID, S+475 Bps, 0.5% Floor by Underwriters Seeking to Reduce Exposure

Mon 11/14/2022 12:30 PM EST

The $6.5 billion Twitter term loan partially backing Elon Musk’s $44 billion buyout of the social media platform is being informally marketed to a select group of investors at an OID of 60 as the underwriting banks seek to reduce their exposure to the company, according to sources.

Underwriters Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Barclays, MUFG, BNP Paribas, Mizuho and Société Générale are offering portions of the $6.5 billion loan that carries a margin of S+475 bps and a 0.5% floor, the sources said. Hedge funds would be likely buyers of any pieces of the loan, given that most CLOs are unlikely buyers of loans priced at below 80, according to sources. The financing package totaling $13 billion is expected to be complemented by high-yield bonds, they added.

Musk’s $44 billion acquisition of Twitter closed on Oct. 27. CEO Parag Agrawal and CFO Ned Segal were immediately fired, according to news reports; Musk has since fired about half of the company’s 7,500-string workforce. According to news reports, Musk said in an email to Twitter employees last week that the company could face bankruptcy and warned of “difficult times ahead.”

Moody’s lowered the company’s CFR to B1 on Oct. 31, while S&P took the company to B- on Nov. 1. Both agencies cited the substantial increase in debt that came with the acquisition.

Musk said on Tesla’s Oct. 19 earnings call that he thought he and his investor consortium were “overpaying” for Twitter “right now” but that the long-term potential for Twitter is “an order of magnitude” greater than its current value. Musk added that he was “excited about the Twitter situation” and saw “incredible potential” in owning the company.

Official syndication of the loan or bonds is unlikely to take place in the near term amid market turbulence from the Federal Reserve’s rate tightening and macro issues including the Russia-Ukraine conflict, inflation and supply-chain challenges.

Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Barclays, MUFG, BNP Paribas, Mizuho and Société Générale did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

1 Like

People don’t want to let go of their reality. To the degree you’re looking for ways to rationalize institutions you thought you could trust, nakedly smearing a therapeutic that endangered an agenda with horse photos and statements like “You are not a horse. You are not a cow. Seriously, y’all. Stop it.” You’d find no shortage of newscaster montages for “ivermectin horse dewormer supercut” on YouTube, either.

All I am telling you is, dissenting opinion is not a danger to democracy. It’s a danger to tyranny.

2 Likes

That exact press release very clearly states that Ivermectin is also approved in humans for indications other than Covid.

There is no disinformation in that release. But misquoting it is disinformation.

6 Likes

I didn’t state anything to the contrary. And in fact I proved your point for you, albeit in a somewhat ironic fashion.

You made a rather bold claim. I chose to fact-check that claim. And found it to be demonstrably false. Using the very information you yourself provided.

I suggest you follow your own advice, and fact-check the information you present as “facts”. Not thinking for one’s self is a much greater aid to tyranny.

Cheers!

4 Likes

There is some truth to this, but it’s not absolute: Shouting “Fire!” in a crowded theatre when there is none is certainly dissent, but presents a clear danger to the common good and no benefit.

2 Likes

Agreed. And by continuing to misquote it undermines trust. Another aid to tyranny.

This seems to have strayed quite a bit from the topic of Twitter. So having said my part, I will bow out of this side thread.

If it is cold where you are stay warm. And if it is hot, stay cool.

Bye.

3 Likes

The FDA link you cite points out:

Certain animal formulations of ivermectin such as pour-on, injectable, paste, and “drench,” are approved in the U.S. to treat or prevent parasites in animals. For humans, ivermectin tablets are approved at very specific doses to treat some parasitic worms, and there are topical (on the skin) formulations for head lice and skin conditions like rosacea.

So they acknowledge that Ivermectin is used for human when appropriate. Moreover, they refer to the appropriate formats for humans: tablets, and an externally applied form.

It’s less a matter of silencing dissent, and more a matter of critical reading and applied knowledge.

Equine and bovine Ivermectin are not the same as made-for-humans Ivermectin. For one thing, equine Ivermectin frequently has arsenic in it; this is OK for horses, because given their size, it’s a trace amount, and it has some beneficial side effects (killing larvae and making wormy coats and hooves look slick and shiny).

Secondly, the paste is incredibly vile-tasting (even the flavored versions), and makes soft tissue burn. Vet techs who read the instructions often wear gloves to squirt it down the horse’s throat. Thirdly, there is no way to measure the dosage; the dose instructions are designed for horses. That means idiot humans using equine Ivermectin frequently end up overdosed.

I co-managed a boarding pasture for horses. I know Ivermectin.

2 Likes

@ismh Please shut this thread down before it gets out of hand. I do not believe that the Mac Power Users forum is the proper place to re-litigate the past two or three years. Thank you.

If you cancel your Twitter account, a month later your twitter handle will become available to the world, and someone else might grab it and use it for shady purposes. Maybe phish your Twitter friends. This is a reason to consider not canceling your twitter account.

I see this place as a break from politics. Let’s keep politics out of MPU.

I’m politically active in real life. I volunteer several hours a month for the local political party, and I get in arguments on social media. There are plenty of places to discuss politics. Let’s not discuss it here.

As to the subject at hand: I cancelled my Twitter account a few weeks ago … then reactivated it a couple of days later when I realized I still like to use twitter to read lists, and to occasionally reply to other people’s posts.

3 Likes

It is very interesting, that the person who liked @Gem before, now is calling for the “cancelation” of this thread!

That is the “Free Speech” MAGA is calling for…!!

We are way beyond discussing the technical aspects of the changeover at Twitter. We have moved into the realm of political opinions and snide remarks. If that’s what you want for Mac Power Users forum, so be it.

2 Likes

I’m suggesting people may want to export their data, just in case, even if they plan on keeping and using their accounts.

I’m also suggesting people make their accounts Private, but do not delete them. I think it’s important to own your namespace.

I’m also hoping more people will return to/start blogging.

I really think highly of micro.blog, for blogging ($5.00/month for hosting, free for syndicating).

This site lists lots of other blogging tools. Get Blogging.

2 Likes

This is pretty easy, I just go to the original source of an information, and check it there!
And this also is very easy with your example:
Ivermectin is a medication against parasites. Covid19 is a Virus!
A Virus is not a parasite!
Those are completely different thinks, and therefore you can’t cure Covid19 with Ivermectin!
Because a lot of people living in an information bubble are not checking the background of an information, but believing everything they get from a “certain source”, and disbelieving everything this “certain source” is telling them, they are not able to detect the bullshit, this “certain source” is telling those people!
As Ivermectin is for a human only availabel on prescription, and this prescription is only available, if this human has a parasite, the most people believing the “certain source” filling their bubble, are not able to get the Ivermectin that is available for humans, and therefore buying the medicine for horses.
While a lot of Americans are over their healthy weight, they normally still do not reach the weight of a horse, and that is the reason why Ivermectin is overdosed in that cases, and those people ending up in an ER.
That is the reason the FDA is mentioning, that Humans are not horses, and that they should not take medicine prepared for horses, specially if they take it because of a virus, which is not an parasite!

But anyway, as long as the “certain source” is not telling this to people like you, you will not be able to believe it anyway, so…

1 Like

so Twitter has the capability to destroy democracy? :open_mouth:

I think this has gone pretty far afield of (at least) Rules 1 and 6. No need to re-live the last few years of Twitter misery here too.

13 Likes