Being...self employed?

So I am currently losing my job (I’m a lawyer, I haven’t been meeting my billable requirement, I’m not surprised). I told myself I would never want to “hang my own shingle” as a private practitioner, but the more I think about it and the more I’ve worked in small and midsized private firms, I almost feel like I could better serve my clients not being tied down by old processes and decisions made by partners 10 years ago when the world is so different both post-covid and post-smartphone revolution.

I guess my big question for the Focused/former New Agents is am I crazy? What if I fail? Who should I talk to? There’s so much to think about and I’m not sure where to begin.

2 Likes

I don’t have any good advice but, I wish you luck with wherever life takes you next :slight_smile:

I’m not a lawyer, but I’ve been on my own, and it’s at once exhilarating and terrifying. I really enjoyed it, but unless you get some regular gigs, the revenue uncertainty is something you have to get used to / make allowances for / learn to live with.

Advice: figure out who your potential customers are and focus on them first. (For example, I do t know if you can get away with poaching existing clients from your old employer).

Start using simple tools, many of which have free or cheap tiers up to a certain limit of activity. (I’m thinking of billing software and the like.)

Local banks often offer a cheap or feee business checking account, in the hopes of securing local companies.

Keep track of your time – clearly you already do, just count yourself as a client. Time spent improving your website or billing clients is a real cost, something you have to do, and worth keeping track of (and minimizing if you can’t bill anyone for it).

3 Likes

I know that it seems to be a very big step, to start a career as a “single-woman-show” in the lawyer business, and it is very likely, that you will have a more or less long period with a lower income, compared to the income of a employee at a law firm.
On the other hand, you have now a few years of experience, and I hope you selected a kind of specialization, and already earned some experience also in that area.

From what I read from you in this forum, you seem to be a pretty smart person, who know what she wants.

I know that it seems to be a very big step, to start a career as a “single-woman-show” in the lawyer business, and it is very likely, that you will have a more or less long period with a lower income, compared to the income of a employee at a law firm.
On the other hand, you have now a few years of experience, and I hope you selected a kind of specialization, and already earned some experience also in that area.

To be honest, I would go the way with my own law firm!
I would take the first time with maybe less clients, to improve in your special direction.
If you live in an overcrowded area, if it comes to the number of lawyers, maybe a move could improve your chances also.

Overall I think I would take the chance you are facing now, to work in an area, a pace, and with the clients, you want to work with.
If you have ideas to improve the art of work as a lawyer, use them to become someone who stand out of the crowd of lawyers, and be somebody special, taking care for you and your clients.

It would probably not easy during the first time, but if you have a vision, you will made it!

To be honest, I would go the way with my own law firm!
I would take the first time with maybe less clients, to improve in your special direction.
If you live in an overcrowded area, if it comes to the number of lawyers, maybe a move could improve your chances also.

Overall I think I would take the chance you are facing now, to work in an area, a pace, and with the clients, you want to work with.
If you have ideas to improve the art of work as a lawyer, use them to become someone who stand out of the crowd of lawyers, and be somebody special, taking care for you and your clients.

It would probably not easy during the first time, but if you have a vision, you will made it!

I’m self-employed for the last 10+ years, although not in the legal world.

This is not meant as a rude or harsh comment, although I’m aware it may sound like it. But when you write that you haven’t been meeting your billable requirements, quite a few alarm bells are ringing with me. Especially since you want to be self-employed. In which case it’s even more important to meet your billable hours. Not enough billable hours = not enough income.
It could of course very well be that the requirements at your current job are unreasonably high. But if not, it might be that running your own business will not be the right decision.
One way or another, you do need to send those bills to survive. Without paying clients being self-employed is a lot less funny.

5 Likes

You have professional abilities that should at least see you make a living. Would that in America one’s healthcare and such were taken care of communally or via ‘single payer’, it would give a much lower bar (no pun intendeed). I don’t want to open up a discussion on that but I can’t avoid thinking in that way here.
Sadly this week I was at the receiving end of a law firm whose billing is a priority over ethics in my view and who were set to lose a frivalous case they hoped to settle on contingency but the relevant insurers dug in; rightly so in my view, but the law firm went crazy and even more frivolous and desperate, curious coincidence that you appear here I suppose today?! :slightly_smiling_face:
Attorneys are getting ‘bill’ crazy, at the cost, in my view of ethics. As The Tappett Bros. put it, ’ you’ll be hearing from our attorneys, Dewey, Cheetham and Howe’. Hang your own shingle, be ethical, take work from folk who actually need attorneys and look at yourself in the mirror every morning. That counts for the most. Believe me that counts for the most.
You didn’t come here for seat of the pants advice from me though, I hope Sparks kicks in and real lawyers do: but from me on instinct, go and hang up your shingle.

2 Likes

The billable requirements for most firms in my city is between 1700-2000. Assuming an 80% rate of collection, that’s $272k-$320k in revenue generated for the firm. I’ve been billing 1200-1400, which would generate $192k-$224k.

My current living expenses are around $3500/month, or $42k a year. I was making $86k a year. Assuming I can find the work, I can keep working the same amount I am now and make more money than I am now even with paying for my own office space and malpractice insurance. It’s the “can I find the work” that will be the initial question, and “will the unbillable time as a solo kill me” as the secondary question, which I think I can automate a lot of with caldendly/all the things I’ve learned from MPU.

Weighing in as a non-lawyer, I think expectations around billing hours are excessive.

Assume 1800 billing hours are expected, and one takes two weeks’ vacation: 1800/50 = 36.

That leaves all of four hours per week for work that isn’t billable.

I realize that few attorneys (at firms, anyway) work just 40 hours per week, but I wonder how many hours beyond that are typically needed to make the required billing hours, and how long that’s reasonably sustainable.

What I learned from being self-employed was that getting the work was the most challenging part of the work. If I could do it over, I would have a much better-defined plan for how I was going to attack the challenge of getting new assignments and new clients on a regular basis.

It wasn’t that I didn’t go in with an appreciation of how important that was. I did. I was always aware of it. But awareness wasn’t nearly enough. I just assumed that I’d figure it out soon enough.

The services I offered were writing/editing and voiceover. If I had been as inexperienced in either of those fields as I was in doing the persistent marketing and networking necessary to build a one-person business that would remain sustainable for a long time, I never would have assumed I’d just start doing them and figure out how to do them well on the fly. In that sense, I was kind of naive about going out on my own.

I don’t have any idea if this advice even applies to someone in your field, but I figured I might as well register my thoughts here for anybody else who comes through this thread looking for advice on going solo.

1 Like

I should also add, after that sobering bit of advice, that going solo was one of the most rewarding things I’ve done in my life. Even if I went back and did it over and did it wrong in that way again, I would still do it over. Taking a leap of faith in myself was a remarkable experience that I will always cherish.

2 Likes

I have been self employed in web design since 1999, but then I am probably unemployable as I can not stand the corporate bulls**t and unproductive meetings that fill the day in a lot of companies. It’s not just about billable hours, it’s about motivation, discipline and the need to keep going whatever… no sick pay, no paid leave, being responsible for much more than just billable hours. Client satisfaction and retention, computer systems and equipment, office admin, accounting etc etc. and I assume the reporting and record keeping is much more onerous in legal circles than in mine.

If I broke it down, which to be honest I never have I probably spend less than one third of my time on directly billable work, however I do run on retainers for support and maintenance which combined with actual “billable” gives me a living.

What I have learned is it is better to try things in life than to get old and regret wasted opportunities, risk is part of life, some are more able to take them than others, there are things I have done I probably shouldn’t have, but if I had not done them I would not be me today.

Only you know yourself, analyse figures, make projections (which will likely be wrong) but in the end it comes down to you being prepared to take a risk and maybe fail, with all that could entail If you can live with and like that go for it, if not stay in the rat race.

2 Likes

You might want to check out Ernie the Attorney’s podcast series

He used to have a downloadable (paid) course of the same name. I’m not sure if he still offers it but he does have other programs called Work Smarter.

Legal Talk Network also has a podcast series by Adriana Linnares and a wide range of guests called New Solo.

What if you succeed?

What’s the worst that can happen? You take on another regular job?
The way I see it is you are out of work now anyway, so it’s a great opportunity.

4 Likes

@ximacloudx I’m a lawyer too, what we call a solicitor here in Scotland — to differentiate ourselves from advocates, who plead in the higher courts. Before that I ran a software company working in the oil business (drilling engineering), so my legal practise is flavoured (tainted? I guess it depends upon your viewpoint) by that experience. I retired a few years back, but have kept my practicing certificate so I can do some pro bono work for local charities.

Of late, however, I’ve been working on the question of why so many people using a lawyer as a last resort, a distress purchase.

You didn’t say whether your practice was private client or corporate, court or commercial, so please don’t take these next comments as gospel, but in my view there are two barriers to access. Breach these barriers and untapped markets open.

The first is education, many people simply don’t know what services a solicitor can offer them. Perhaps their view of the profession is shaded by too much court room drama, but very few people come through the door saying “I don’t have a problem, yet …” and asking for help to avoid a potential situation. There is, I’m sure, much, much more advisory work out there to be done, be that for individuals, the self-employed or small businesses. Law is too often seen as the stick by which the big and powerful — corporations, landlords, employers — beat the small and weak. It can and should be a shield, not a sword.

The second barrier is cost; not so much absolute cost as cost uncertainty. People expect to pay for services, but they want, indeed need, to make informed decisions as to whether purchasing such services is cost effective for them, in their circumstances, today. You expect to pay a mechanic to fix your car or an electrician to install a new socket, but you expect an accurate quote up front.

As a profession we simply have to give up the billable hour and learn how to estimate accurately. Seriously, it’s not rocket science. A lot of legal work falls in the category of “same play, different actors”, or at worst “variations on a theme”, so it’s entirely practical.

We’re all driven to record billable hours, but precious few firms I’ve come across say (i) you need to spend time planning what you’re going to do and how long you think it will take; (ii) record the hours you actually spend on every task, including those you didn’t plan to do; and (iii) at the end of each matter, compare what you planned against what you actually did. Step (iii) is vital; it closes the loop so that next time around you can estimate time and cost better. There are reliable, quantitative processes that you can use to improve estimating — we were using them thirty years ago, so there’re not exactly new — but even just a “lessons learned” review is better than nothing.

Address these two issues — education and fixed fees — and I’m certain there is a viable professional practice there. I can’t help you much with the first, but would be happy to share thoughts on the latter. If you think it might help, DM me.

Anyway, all the best. Running your own business is hard work, even a bit scary at times, but can be very rewarding.

8 Likes

Here is a very personal view. I was a partner in a large UK law firm (not based in London) for very many years but retired some years ago. After my experience in a large firm there would have been no way I would have moved to a small firm or, worse, tried to set up on my own.

I valued, above all, the support provided in the large firm: properly developed continuing education, support provided by expert lawyers working in different fields, the ability to take decent holidays knowing that my work and clients would be properly cared for and the opportunities afforded by the size and reputation of the firm when going for new clients.

Above all, I valued three three month sabbatical holidays during my career which were refreshing and invigorating—and which I’m sure a smaller firm would never have provided.

Whatever your decision I much sympathise with the stress induced by the process.

Stephen

1 Like

It might be a difference, to be a partner of a large law firm, or one of the many little workers (I heard once the term: „Ants“, in that relationship) in that firm, who enabled the partner to have a rather comfortable position in this system. :wink:

I’m very much fed up with the daily grind of a full time work, after spending almost 25 years with the current company. I still have 10 years to go before my retirement age by-law but I do not think I have the heart nor the stamina to grind for another 10 years. I’m ok to quit even now, financially speaking although there’s definitely some belt tightening required and I have to relook at certain software subscriptions (heh!) but, the only thing that’s stopping me is that I don’t know what I want to do if I stopped. I think an idle mind could be worse off for me, although this daily grind is at the opposite end of the spectrum. I wish I’m in some professional skills where I can start on my own, such as accounting, doctors, lawyers but alas, I’m not.

I need a job that generate a modest income, but this next job should not be a 9-5. I should have some flexible time. Maybe I can pick up teaching but I’ll surely kill the kids (I don’t have the EQ to teach!). Maybe I should be an Uber driver or something. I can pick up a new programming language but that will not bring any income as I do not have app development experience, although I do have an idea of buying an abandoned app and improving upon it.

In one other forums, a guy quit his day job and opened a games shop. That sounds really interesting - just that I don’t want to risk my limited capital on such a venture.

Freelancer sounds interesting if I can land a job and as someone pointed up thread, I probably need to start securing some jobs here and there before I tender my letter.

Is this considered mid life crisis?

1 Like

@Ulli I think that’s a little harsh. Admittedly partners reap the benefits of the labours of more junior lawyers, but they also carry the risk of the business.

At least they used to. The adoption of limited liability partnership structures has pretty much broken the link between business failure and personal liability unless an (equity) partner borrows to buy into the partnership. In an ideal world, therefore, there’s no longer a need for a partners’ drawings to factor in a risk premium, theoretically leaving more for distribution/ investment in junior levels.

Maybe that will happen eventually, but unless and until there’s a real shortage of junior talent that constrains the base of the pyramid — and in Scotland there are more law/ professional diploma graduates than traineeships — I don’t see much of a change happening.

Beyond this @Stephen_C is right in saying that the larger, national firms are better; they understand that professional support lawyers and CPD training are an investment, but you need to be of a scale sufficient to keep a PSL or trainer busy enough to justify having them on staff. The flip side is that larger firms are not particularly nimble (to be fair, that’s a criticism of large organisations in general) and (from in-house experience) as much as their clients may moan and gripe, they’re remarkably price tolerant.

Turning back to @ximacloudx’s position, if she’s being pushed to do that many billable hours per year I’d lay odds she’s working in a commercial/ corporate practice, an area that is notoriously competitive. All I was suggesting is that one don’t have to stay in that area; a large part of the community is under-/ ill-/ not at all served by current legal practice, that represents an opportunity worth exploring.

1 Like

This is naive, you will be working more to support the billable hours with all the ancillary work in running a business. If you work on the basis of your billable hours will halve from there present level, and you can still meet expenses and have a life you are perhaps on the right track, otherwise no.

1 Like

But the math does work out for that. 600 billable hours X 200 = $120k. Assuming no deductions and self employment tax that’s about $19k in taxes, so I’d still be at over 100k. Assuming $20k in various business expenses (the office I’m looking at is $500/month, website, malpractice insurance, business insurance, etc) I’m still almost where I’m at now salary wise.

The big issue will be (unsurprisingly) health insurance, but even then my mid-size firm plan was $90/paycheck with a $6k deductible. My “I end up hospitalized” fund has always assumed little insurance help

1 Like