BenQ ScreenBar Plus - anyone using it?

Hello All

Anyone using the BenQ ScreenBar Plus monitor light? I am thinking of getting one but the price is a bit much. Is anyone in the community used it and can provide their recommendations?

BenQ Link
Amazon link:

I have had mine for about a week. Tired of having the swing arm on the desk lamp.

1 Like

Do you recommend it? Any glare on screen?

Would appreciate you sharing your views after one week of use

Some slight shadow at the top of the screen. I like being able to set the light to a warmer color.

4 Likes

Update:

I bought the Benq Screenbar (non plus version) about a month ago and I highly recommend it. Fantastic for early mornings and late nights.

thank you @ddunbar3 for the pictures and feedback

I tried some cheaper non-brand ones that appeared to do the same job but the BENQ ones are definitely better.

May write about it on my blog.

3 Likes

I got one for Xmas. Love it. Great to use with the MBP in clamshell mode and an Apple Keyboard that does not have backlight. Also very good to read paper documents/books while taking notes on the Mac or watch a movie without being in total darkness.

Not cheap but well worth it!

1 Like

I just bought one this week for our shared iMac and really like it. The aluminum finish gives a nice premium compliment to the iMac and the dial of the plus version is really convenient … wife approved it as well :blush:

One downside for me is I find the minimum brightness still a bit too bright when sitting in darkness

Another one is that you see every dust particle on the iMac screen ID the Display is off :sweat_smile: and if you happen to have a glass desk the light can be pretty reflective, so I‘m considering a wool deskmatt (or another desk :upside_down_face:).

Overall I’d agree as well with saying: it’s expensive but worth the money for us.

View of the desk setup with the ScreenBar in automatic light setup (i.e. medium bright, neutral tone).

@JensV re: dust particles. My monitor screen has never been more clean then now. :grin:

5 Likes

That’s an amazing photo to depict what it can do :+1:

1 Like

I will certainly keep a microfiber cloth close by from now on :sweat_smile:… nice picture btw. and again it makes me think about switching from Evernote to DEVONthink :smirk:

In case anybody is wondering: the bar does not obstruct the facetime camera of the iMac

It’s been years since I used Evernote, so I’m not sure how the app is nowadays. I always favoured DEVONthink, but these days, with v.3 and the new update to DEVONthink To Go, I spend almost half of my research time in between them. Great apps.

When I first read about the ScreenBar here three years ago, I tried to convince myself that all of you are just crazy to spend that much money on a light that is sitting on a display.

When this thread was revived back in 2021, I still was convinced: too expensive. Crazy.

Last week I pulled the plunge and bought the even more expensive model: the BENQ ScreenBar Halo (wireless remote).

And man, this is something I should have done three years ago when all of you started talking about it. All those photos are nice but I was blown away after I installed it on my LG display. Absolutely indispensible.

If there are more like me out there who are not pleased with the lack of light at your desk: this is the device to change that. Really. :slight_smile: Expensive? Yes. But so good…

2 Likes

I have one, and love the lighting aspect. But I also need to but a Logitech Brio webcam up there as I videoconference a lot. How do people manage this?

Fortunately, I am do not need to use a webcam very often. My LG display is a 32 inch, so in theory it is an option to put the webcam on one of its sides, even with the ScreenBar installed. But it for sure is not ideal.

Another option would be a stand for the webcam like this one: https://www.amazon.com/-/dp/B07WNJ2CJC/

I just got this recommendation after buying the ScreenBar Halo, maybe it is of interest to some here:

I have no use for it, but BenQ apparently has thought about the question what to do with a webcam when using a ScreenBar Halo. They sell their “Webcam Accessory” for $20.

Huh. That’s a pretty good idea. I have a Logitech 1080 webcam that I use from time to time, and I sometimes just perch it on top, and the mounting method seems to be nearly identical to the Benq one. But I was thinking that’s just the bracket. It’d be easy to make something like that, either by 3D printing or even Lego and a 3M strip. I may just give that a shot. Thanks for the inspiration. :slight_smile:

1 Like