Bent iPad Pro 2018

There have been a few stories about bent iPad Pro’s the last couple of days. As a lot of people on this forum have bought a new iPad recently, I was wondering if anyone has encountered this issue.

Thanks for posting. I wasn’t aware of this, and think it would drive me nuts, depending on which way it was bent. If it rocked when lying screen up - that would drive me nuts. Like the wobbly table in a restaurant.

My new 12.9 inch iPad Pro has a very slight curve, “bend“ in the middle. I do not consider it an issue and would have never noticed it had I not read these articles. Generally speaking, I think this is much ado about nothing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed, much ado about nothing. Honestly, I think at this point much of the tech press has gone off the rails with Apple coverage. Seems like mostly what I see is constant and repetitive rumors, manufactured controversy and or manufactured outrage. It seems bizarre but I think it usually just comes down to click-bait. I’ve trimmed back my Apple/Tech news feeds and eliminated any sources that seem to mostly post this stuff. I don’t miss the Verge at all. I do miss 9to5 Mac because they post good stuff but the amount of garbage was just too much.

I cannot detect a bend in mine.

3 Likes
1 Like

:rofl: love Seinfeld.

1 Like

Without having seen this issue it’s hard for me to judge. But in general one may expect a device of this price to be absolutely flawless, right? Especially since this is a hardware issue and as such can’t be fixed with a software or firmware update.
Not sure what worries me more: the actual issue with the iPad or Apple’s arrogance.

1 Like

No bend on my 11" Cellular iPad Pro.

According to AppleInsider (https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/12/21/apples-dan-riccio-responds-to-bent-ipad-pro-reports-says-device-meets-or-exceeds-production-standards) / Space Javelin latest episode, the tolerance is 400 microns or 0.4mm which nobody would notice, and any bend should not develop over time. However there seem to be reports of bends which were worse than that and did develop / get worse over time. You can exchange it within the exchange window and hope to get one with less of a bend.

But if I’m paying $1200+ I should be able to get zero bends :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes indeed. I think there may be some difference between the tolerance of 0.4mm that you are not supposed to notice on the one hand and on the other hand, what people are actually complaining about.

1 Like

There’s a good segment on the latest Talk Show about this, right at the start of the show.

1 Like

I stopped listening to the Talk Show when they burned a complete half an hour arguing about how you would know if the Genius Bar replaced your iPhone instead of just repairing it. It’s so easy. Screenshot the settings page with the device serial number and let it go to iCloud or failing that, email it to yourself or message it to yourself, then compare with the same page on the iPhone that you get back.
I may listen to this episode though, at least it’s at the beginning!

My 12.9” doesn’t have a bend. I think Apple’s PR has been made unclear with the “400 microns” response, but it’s an intermittent defect to the extent it’s happening so it can be addressed with a return. I like that Apple is driving such high tolerances and would love to see them get to 200 microns! :wink:

1 Like