Best Data Recovery software 2022?

A friend of mine applied a system update (Catalina) on his Mac, and after that the system got corrupted somehow. When I connect the Mac to my Mac (with Target Mode) I can see Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data. On Macintosh HD there are no files, but I can see files on the Data volume, however when trying to copy files from that volume I get errors…

It was a couple of years ago I had these kind of problems on any Mac. Earlier I have used Diskwarrior for many years, but that doesn’t suport APFS. So what do one use nowadays for data recovery?
Google gives a lot of answers, and many of them seems to be paid…

1 Like

I just accidentally deleted files off an SD card, and so went searching.
Disk Drill seems really well regarded and I downloaded it, but couldn’t recover my RAW photos in the free version. So, I went to the App Store and found Data Recovery Essential.
It allows 100 MB free per day, which I love as a model since I get to try it out, perhaps build loyalty, then shell out when I really need it.
It worked perfectly, claims it supports APFS, and it turns out it’s by the same company as Disk Drill. I’m confused by this!

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m saving that bit of information for future reference.

Followup to this:

It turned out that the Samsung EVO 850 SSD was defect.
I managed to mount the Macintosh HD - Data partition (after a lot of struggle) and copy all files but one that was damaged.
After that I swapped the defect drive for a new one, installed a new system and used my copy as source for the Migration Assistent.

2 Likes