Best way to get notifications of new software updates?

Does anyone have a good way to get instant notifications of new software updates for Apple software systems, excluding beta updates?

LIke an email service or something like that?

Follow AppleInsider or MacRumors or Cult of Mac on Twitter?

2 Likes

For iOS/iPadOS/watchOS/tvOS I use https://ipsw.me (and Pushover).

2 Likes

If you have Setapp then check out CleanMyMac. It has a software update feature that seems pretty slick.

5 Likes

If you want a firehose of information you can subscribe to the current activity RSS feed of the National Cyber Awareness System.

But it’s not just Apple, it’s EVERYTHING. Computers, routers, firewalls, Juniper, Cisco, malware in Ukraine, etc.

For example: Here’s the notice I received on 15.2.1

Apple Releases Security Updates for iOS and iPadOS
28 CISA Current Activity by CISA
Original release date: January 13, 2022

Apple has released security updates to address a vulnerability affecting iOS 15.2.1 and iPadOS 15.2.1. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause a denial-of-service condition.

CISA encourages users and administrators to review the Apple security page for iOS 15.2.1 and iPadOS 15.2.1 and apply the necessary updates.

https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ncas/current-activity.xml

1 Like

There’s the Software Watchlist from the folks over at TidBITS, and they also put out notices for operating system updates. You can subscribe via email or RSS to receive news.

2 Likes

I recently started using MacUpdater and it is working well for me so far.

And recently I let the developer know of an edge case issue with another of his apps (TrashRecover), and he had an update out addressing the issue the very next day.

2 Likes

I use that for quite some time. Works great for keeping Apps up-to-date!

I might have misunderstood the original question; I thought it was about operating system updates.

Yes, the original question was a bit ambiguous. :wink:

+1 for Macupdater, works well for me.

1 Like

Meant iOS and MacOS etc updates :blush: