Big Email - pre order open: $6.49 a month when paid annually

I concur. I can’t see spending $80/year ($400 over five years) for an email client. I do wish the developer well, though I know that doesn’t help him/her. But, there is a limit to how much one can spend on monthly subscriptions.

I think the news about the increased privacy in Mail will not be good for this product’s viability, unfortunately. Especially as Outlook and Gmail must be evaluating how to make similar changes to their products. I’m sympathetic because I know that developer put in a ton of work. Hopefully the rest of the feature set still has a decent customer base.

5 Likes

@Bmosbacker I used to have this exact thinking… I have changed somewhat and feel better about it. This is because, I pay around $100 a year for netflix, that means $500 over 5 years. …I pay USD40 for ulysses and thats $400 over 10 years for a writing app. Fantastical will be $400 over 10 years.

I suppose what I am saying is when I have this 5 to 10 year outlook, almost all subs seem expensive and something I can do without. As such, now, If I enjoy the app and I can afford it, I subscribe.

@cornchip with Big Mail’s pricing, HEY pricing seems somewhat reasonable

1 Like

I don’t quite understand what he is doing. Is he holding the release button just because he doesn’t have the pre-order data? I’m thinking he is just doing more damage this way. Nobody can wait forever for a missed launch. People will forget about this very soon. No matter what the data is, nothing will improve by holding on the release imho.

1 Like

FYI, looks like it’ll be released on the 24th:

It’s out now (at least in the UK). Just enrolled in 2-week trial. So far not impressed but I’ll keep an open mind.

Uninstalled it (& cancelled the trial) after a few minutes…

(Does not properly support Fastmail with a custom domain, so it’s not for me)

PS: What’s the monthly price in $? I see €9,99/month, but the title of the topic says $6.49?

2 Likes

The title is a bit misleading. $6.49 is the annual price per month.

Installed it, wanted to like it but just wasn’t for me.

• No share sheet, nor any ability to get a link to messages/conversations (why?!)
  • No swipe actions whatsoever (again, why?!)
  • Opinionated, “AI”-driven sorting that you can’t really customize

Unsubscribed. I had hope, because flashy, but this app is nowhere close to what I’d consider essential, let alone premium.

I am convinced that email app designers don’t actually use email. The whole point of Inbox Zero is to spend zero time in the inbox. What about the public conversation around email over the last decade or three indicates that people want to spend more time in email? It’s like trying to make the post office a fun place to hang out.

sigh.

7 Likes

Some brief thoughts after playing with it on iPad Pro.

This app is exclusively about re-designing the presentation of emails in the inbox, which are all clearly summarised by its website. But the interface is a bit confusing that it shows the newsletter design for some views but the conventional mail list in the sidebar for some other views.

Unfortunately the things listed on its website are almost everything the app can do. There’s no meat underneath its pretty skin. It’s very lacking as an email client, even compared to Apple Mail, for example

• Can’t select multiple emails
  • No gestures except swipe left to delete in the conventional list view
  • No print emails
  • Can’t access traditional mailboxes like Junk, Archive, Sent
  • Can’t move emails to the traditional mailboxes
  • Can’t edit mailboxes
  • Very lacking search and false results
  • No share nor save to files button for attachments
  • No coloured flags
2 Likes

Now that was good for a laugh!! The only thing worse (and only US citizens will appreciate this) is the DMV!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

And its only $80/year. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wanted to say maybe give it another year. But I kinda doubt if it’s still going to be around in a year.

3 Likes

For me to spend $80/year indefinitely on an email client it would have to be the email client to rule them all. Personally, I can think of better ways to spend $80–take my wife out to dinner? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Every day for a year? Where do you eat - sounds a bargain :wink:

No, I was thinking of “a” dinner, perhaps two depending on where we go. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@SuperTachyon @rob I have since fixed the title. The developer kept saying $6.49 on twitter and I suppose I ran with that. My apologies

Sorry I didn’t mean it’s your fault. I saw the dev saying this as well. But thanks for clarifying the title.

Oh, I was not complaining about your title.

I was genuinely wondering whether the price went up after the pre-sale.