Big Email - pre order open: $6.49 a month when paid annually

The advantage of sanebox is that it does everything at the server level.

With apps like Big Mail, I fear that the auto categorisation will occur when the app is open. I would take server side rules over app based anyway. However, keep it at the client level is better from a privacy perspective. Which is a less of a concern for me.

1 Like

If it’s stable I’d just leave the Mac app running for the catagorisation.

Nitpick time : Developers …if you’re asking for someone to make an annual commitment to you financially …you have to offer more than a 7 day trial.

Neuroscientist Caroline Leaf says it can take 9 weeks to form habits. 7 day trials will lead to end users forgetting it’s installed …launching the app and being told “your trial has expired” and app deleted.

I’m seeing way to many problems with startups and launches that appear to be potentially caused by a lack of guidance from a Business Development talent or MBA.

Not So Big Company is kind of snarky on social media which is fine with me but consumers have no problems watching small companies that don’t meet their needs drown.

3 Likes

Every time I decide I just need to live with Apple Mail … someone posts something on these forums that drags me back in again.

:wink:

6 Likes

Sorry I disagree if different opinions are not allowed to exist or be tested/discussed no one will get anywhere, that’s the basis of science.

I’m a scientist turned writer so I am well aware.
Vision is not fact. Science deals in fact. Creation deals in vision. The spheres are not the same, just like science does not (should not) deal in religious matters, because science is based on what can be disproved, and most religious matters can not, as with art.

People dislike books for the exact reasons that other people love them. This has nothing to do with the science of DNA or of stars, where things are and can be inferred, or can not.
Which is why I’ve talked about vision.

Now, the vision might not be successful, and it might lead to it disappearing. Such are the rules of economics, but it’s entirely separate from whether the vision was relevant or interesting. (The case in point - a pricing model - is borderline relevant, but it remains a difference of opinion, which will be proved or disproved by the market, in the present case. Only experience will tell, but the vision cannot be disputed a priori.)

Science aims for the absolute, creation aims for the feeling, and if the recent years have taught us anything, it’s that it’s urgent that we learn that these are entirely different matters on which we should be crystal clear as to what they should or should not rule in life. (And how, hopefully, as we evolve as peoples, they could inform one another.)

3 Likes

I would argue that the pricing model’s success will be proved or disproved in the market; no opinion will be proved correct as such — one will just win out. It doesn’t make the losing opinion wrong, just less successful.

2 Likes

Yes, true. I was kinda trying to mean that, but failed :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I think you missed an “l” in the dev’s twitter handle.

1 Like

There’s no need to set a reminder to cancel. You can cancel it right away after starting a trial. The trial will last but the sub won’t renew. I think this is true for all third-party apps. The only exceptions I saw were Apple Arcade and TV+.

3 Likes

I’m onboard with you. It’s not silly. It’s just subscription fatigue.

4 Likes

I concur. I can’t see spending $80/year ($400 over five years) for an email client. I do wish the developer well, though I know that doesn’t help him/her. But, there is a limit to how much one can spend on monthly subscriptions.

I think the news about the increased privacy in Mail will not be good for this product’s viability, unfortunately. Especially as Outlook and Gmail must be evaluating how to make similar changes to their products. I’m sympathetic because I know that developer put in a ton of work. Hopefully the rest of the feature set still has a decent customer base.

5 Likes

@Bmosbacker I used to have this exact thinking… I have changed somewhat and feel better about it. This is because, I pay around $100 a year for netflix, that means $500 over 5 years. …I pay USD40 for ulysses and thats $400 over 10 years for a writing app. Fantastical will be $400 over 10 years.

I suppose what I am saying is when I have this 5 to 10 year outlook, almost all subs seem expensive and something I can do without. As such, now, If I enjoy the app and I can afford it, I subscribe.

@cornchip with Big Mail’s pricing, HEY pricing seems somewhat reasonable

1 Like

I don’t quite understand what he is doing. Is he holding the release button just because he doesn’t have the pre-order data? I’m thinking he is just doing more damage this way. Nobody can wait forever for a missed launch. People will forget about this very soon. No matter what the data is, nothing will improve by holding on the release imho.

1 Like

FYI, looks like it’ll be released on the 24th:

It’s out now (at least in the UK). Just enrolled in 2-week trial. So far not impressed but I’ll keep an open mind.

Uninstalled it (& cancelled the trial) after a few minutes…

(Does not properly support Fastmail with a custom domain, so it’s not for me)

PS: What’s the monthly price in $? I see €9,99/month, but the title of the topic says $6.49?

2 Likes

The title is a bit misleading. $6.49 is the annual price per month.

Installed it, wanted to like it but just wasn’t for me.

• No share sheet, nor any ability to get a link to messages/conversations (why?!)
  • No swipe actions whatsoever (again, why?!)
  • Opinionated, “AI”-driven sorting that you can’t really customize

Unsubscribed. I had hope, because flashy, but this app is nowhere close to what I’d consider essential, let alone premium.

I am convinced that email app designers don’t actually use email. The whole point of Inbox Zero is to spend zero time in the inbox. What about the public conversation around email over the last decade or three indicates that people want to spend more time in email? It’s like trying to make the post office a fun place to hang out.

sigh.

7 Likes