Big Sur "break" thread

Interesting. My Drobo is connected via Thunderbolt not USB. Hope they fix this soon. Lots of data on my Drobo…That said; it is nearing retirement after 7 years of solid service. Time to get back to HK and go to Wanchai Computer Center :wink:

1 Like

Let me know when you’re here and done with your 14 days quarantine and we can go there together!

Thanks Chris, I downloaded Hazel 5 and now it’s working! I’ve also attached my scanner via USB and now FineReader is back working, and after re-downloading everything my email is up and running.

Moral of the story, make sure you’ve 48hrs to test everything (until you need your computer for work) before upgrading. Doing it on a Sunday morning when working on Monday is not enough time.

2 Likes

Updated my iMac 27 today from Mojave. Took just under an hour start to finish. Everything seems to work kinda exactly as usual, just a visual overhaul at first glance. Not running too much custom apps on this, so holding my thumbs Big Sur will behave.

Nice bonus to get GoodNotes synced over from the iPad too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for that. I seem to remember in the original Rosetta the same thing happened but we saw a number of applications that stripped out the unwanted code, I suspect they will start to turn up soon.

The iOS App Store has a feature called App Thinning that automatically strips out unneeded code/assets and only sends you what you need for your particular device. Applying something similar to Universal Binaries in the Mac App Store would seem pretty obvious, but I haven’t heard any mention of it.

2 Likes

Makes lots of sense, but it isn’t happening for Macs in my observation. Example, Pages from the Mac App Store:

tom@tom11 MacOS % pwd      
/Applications/Pages.app/Contents/MacOS
tom@tom11 MacOS % file Pages
Pages: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [x86_64:Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64] [arm64]
Pages (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
Pages (for architecture arm64):	Mach-O 64-bit executable arm64
tom@tom11 MacOS % otool -fv Pages 
Fat headers
fat_magic FAT_MAGIC
nfat_arch 2
architecture x86_64
    cputype CPU_TYPE_X86_64
    cpusubtype CPU_SUBTYPE_X86_64_ALL
    capabilities 0x0
    offset 16384
    size 24759680
    align 2^14 (16384)
architecture arm64
    cputype CPU_TYPE_ARM64
    cpusubtype CPU_SUBTYPE_ARM64_ALL
    capabilities 0x0
    offset 24788992
    size 23739840
    align 2^14 (16384)
tom@tom11 MacOS % 

1 Like

Not sure if this is the same thing. I’m able to mount shares on my Synology fairly quickly, but the sparse bundle images on that NAS (used by Carbon Copy Cloner) take hours to mount - if they mount at all!

1 Like

Putting the Macbook Pro to sleep before unplugging the external monitor is now mandatory with Big Sur. Before it used to detect the unplugging and shift all the stuff on the external monitor to your Macbook screen. Now, it just continues to think there’s another screen–you can even mouse all the way over to the other screen and trigger hot corners somehow.

Also, Fantastical broke–no more status bar icon. Working with Flexibits to figure it out now.

The screen saver, set to 20 minutes, turned on after 20 minutes of active use. :thinking:

It knew you were working too hard.

3 Likes

Anyone else having Handoff not work from Macbook to iPhone? Works from Phone to Macbook.

I think this is the opposite of Murphy’s law, but since writing this, almost all my scheduled backups have worked!

1 Like

I just tried Lightroom 5.7 on my new M1 Mac mini…and it is SLOW! Reminds me of the good old days of Rosetta 1

I love Brett Terpstra’s Marked 2. Its PDF export under Big Sur is basically broken. It works, but the output is not really usable. :cry:

Brett explains it:

Basically, PDF exports look blurry and contain raster images. Text is not selectable. Short-term solution: Export the file to HTML, print it from Safari or Firefox as PDF without header and footer and you will get a usable PDF. Long-term solution: “there are major changes coming that may take me months to implement”.

EDIT: When exporting a very short Markdown document of only 241 words to HTML, Marked 2 is taking 100% of the CPU (3.2 GHz i7 Hexacore) for about 10 seconds until the HTML file is being saved on the local SSD. That does not feel good, either…

1 Like

Just to update: I figured out the Fantastical issue (yay)

Now, it seems like the issue is WindowServer related. Moving the mouse arrow from one screen to the other can sometimes trigger it to vanish or lag. If it comes back, great. If it doesn’t come back, the MBP (late 2015) forces a reboot. Start-up takes an epoch compared to Catalina. It’s basically behaving like a Windows machine (start it up, walk away, do something else while your computer boots up and settles in). The only thing that is missing is a blue screen of death.

Will do…looks like it will be a while though…can’t wait for vaccine to come through …

1 Like

I want to upgrade to Big Sur two 2018 Mac Minis with HDMI connections to monitors. However, I have been reading about problems Big Sur has with external monitors. Does that problem still exist? Is it just USB C/Thunderbolt connections to monitors or HDMI as well? Both machines are critical to what I do, so I can’t afford to screw them up. Thanks in advance!

My current M1 Mini connects to my monitor HDMI to HDMI. I was on the Big Sur beta for a while when I had a 2018 Mini connected to my monitor HDMI to HDMI. Worked fine in both instances.

I’ve had no issues w/my external monitor since upgrading.