Big Sur "break" thread

I love Brett Terpstra’s Marked 2. Its PDF export under Big Sur is basically broken. It works, but the output is not really usable. :cry:

Brett explains it:

Basically, PDF exports look blurry and contain raster images. Text is not selectable. Short-term solution: Export the file to HTML, print it from Safari or Firefox as PDF without header and footer and you will get a usable PDF. Long-term solution: “there are major changes coming that may take me months to implement”.

EDIT: When exporting a very short Markdown document of only 241 words to HTML, Marked 2 is taking 100% of the CPU (3.2 GHz i7 Hexacore) for about 10 seconds until the HTML file is being saved on the local SSD. That does not feel good, either…

1 Like

Just to update: I figured out the Fantastical issue (yay)

Now, it seems like the issue is WindowServer related. Moving the mouse arrow from one screen to the other can sometimes trigger it to vanish or lag. If it comes back, great. If it doesn’t come back, the MBP (late 2015) forces a reboot. Start-up takes an epoch compared to Catalina. It’s basically behaving like a Windows machine (start it up, walk away, do something else while your computer boots up and settles in). The only thing that is missing is a blue screen of death.

Will do…looks like it will be a while though…can’t wait for vaccine to come through …

1 Like

I want to upgrade to Big Sur two 2018 Mac Minis with HDMI connections to monitors. However, I have been reading about problems Big Sur has with external monitors. Does that problem still exist? Is it just USB C/Thunderbolt connections to monitors or HDMI as well? Both machines are critical to what I do, so I can’t afford to screw them up. Thanks in advance!

My current M1 Mini connects to my monitor HDMI to HDMI. I was on the Big Sur beta for a while when I had a 2018 Mini connected to my monitor HDMI to HDMI. Worked fine in both instances.

I’ve had no issues w/my external monitor since upgrading.